[AOG] Making an Intro to your Game [Player start]

Ainz Ooal Gown

Hi,

I thought I would share this with the community as it is useful for setting up your new player character with variables and making a nice intro cut scene. I will be using my intro for my game as an example, but this itself was just a simple example I added for testing.

So lets Begin:

In the editor go to: Game Editor > Common Event Editor

Create a new event and call it "New Character" and open it up. My "New Character Event" looks like this:

Spoiler

e99c18448b6a1ad79ab4e5c7f18ffb92.jpg

Here is the picture command:

[Make sure to set it to FULL SCREEN, so it will auto adjust depending on what the player has his clients screen resolution set at. This is why we create a picture at the max game client resolution 1920x1080 so it can scale down.]

1a6df3acdb7fd62e0931ed379096f2ba.jpg

What we want to achieve is so when a new player joins the game with a new character the following will happen:

First Section Intro:

1. Start Playing Intro Music
  2. Show Picture
  3. Wait 3000ms [time to read]
  4. Hide Picture
  5. REPEAT FOR HOW MANY INTRO PICTURES YOU HAVE

Second Section Variables:

1. Set player variables for the core game
  2. [See screenshot below for mine, which sets a player realm var to 1 as I have a realm system that requires this to be set]

Third Section Start Players Journey [Quests]:

1. Start a chat off with the player
  2. Give advice of help on how to play the game
  3. Start off the main story line quest or a tutorial quest

What we need for this event:

• A set of pictures [.png] with you intro on which could be a written story, or some images showing you a story. Size: 1920x1080 [I am using just a black image with some writing on but soon I will be adding artwork]
  • BGM file, for your intro music

Ok now lets look at the condition for all this to start. Its simply just using "Can the player start Quests C1 - Speak to the Guide". As we know a new character hasn't started any quests yet:

This is the simple quest made to make the above condition:

Spoiler

8629c7077cbb4b39082c531893b22254.jpg

Here is the Event Condition for New Character:

Spoiler

7ca46ff35665ffbc5741016021759e87.jpg

So when a player starts the game and creates a new character and joins the following will happen:

Spoiler

BGM Music Starts

Cut Scene from the Pictures we get it to run in the event.

a24cf06ac68b23483c01928694cd3a2a.jpg

Have a couple of cut scene images and break down you story. Just showing first and last, think I have 7 pictures explaining the story before the player gets into the game.

Have a wait time between each one, so new player has time to red it.

053abc9a6eab96ec3386a82e7c281507.jpg

Eng BGM Music.

End Cut scenes and start the game.

Conversation starts right after the cut scenes to continue engagement:

c6fe959261f264d1a3d2188a9fe27104.jpg

Shoe new players some basic tutorials [movement and interaction]:

a32aeb2b5bd75065e78447b46c90d603.jpg

As well the quest has been assigned to you:

05bddc7847d326a5795e2c6c24831aee.jpg

I hope this helps people get new players / characters engaged into your games :)

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 7:48 AM, Ainz Ooal Gown said:
  • Set player variables for the core game 
  • [See screenshot below for mine, which sets a player realm var to 1 as I have a realm system that requires this to be set

Is warp player the realm before creating the common event?

41 minutes ago, shinjou89 said:

Is warp player the realm before creating the common event?

Sorry I don't know what you mean, can you explain a bit more?

The realm bit is something I have in my game, its a way of defining different areas of my game. This bit is not needed for you if you don't have a realm system like mine, but it shows you when to set player variables if you have or need to set any on creation of a new character.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

No problem :)

Always when I log in with the same character, the same animation and story happens and it invokes me to the same place all the time, how can I do that I only pass alone once to log in and then no longer appear?

9 hours ago, shinjou89 said:

Always when I log in with the same character, the same animation and story happens and it invokes me to the same place all the time, how can I do that I only pass alone once to log in and then no longer appear?

Sorry you will have to have a player variable or switch to be set to 1 in event process and have the events trigger condition be is that variable set to 0 then run event if not don’t run.