How to make it so people can play and download your game?

Tyrantula

Question

How do you make the game so that other people can download and play your game?

I tried looking at the distribution page thinking that that was the right section, but there was only placeholders there. My game is nowhere near finished and i'm still figuring out this program, but i want to release a alpha version when i at least have a few maps (bout 5) and more items and characters. I want to know how to share my game so it can be tested and get some early attention, so any help would be appreciated!

~ Tyrantula

5 answers to this question

This is probably the easiest solution if you don't mind spending a little money to get something up with little effort. 

There is always the option to host it yourself, which is free.

To sum up what you have to do:

Send the client files to anyone wanting to play. The editor program doesn't need to be sent if they don't need it.

You will also need to modify the config.xml file inside the resources folder of the client so the IP matches your public IP. You can find this by typing "What is my IP" into Google.

Provided UPNP is working fine for you, port forwarding should not be needed. However, if it is, you can look up a guide for your router on how to port forward.

If all that has worked fine, everyone should be able to join fine. Keep in mind that any updates to client files need to be sent to the users.

1 hour ago, Tyrantula said:

How do you make the game so that other people can download and play your game?

I tried looking at the distribution page thinking that that was the right section, but there was only placeholders there. My game is nowhere near finished and i'm still figuring out this program, but i want to release a alpha version when i at least have a few maps (bout 5) and more items and characters. I want to know how to share my game so it can be tested and get some early attention, so any help would be appreciated!

~ Tyrantula

Damian posted a link to instructions but theyre not very detailed. In order to get a game running and exposed to the internet there's a small network configuration step you have to do. You'll need the login to your router, follow Damian's steps, and checkout my article on port forwarding if you get stuck. My tutorial goes into detail on what port forward is and what you are doing, it's a beefy read but worth the information.

No offence but if you're not sure how to do it, maybe look into it before thinking about releasing a game.

You can either self host the game on your own PC and purchase a server from a company and have them host it for you.

The above links give you enough information to actually open your game for friends. Just follow it step by step.