[Java] Belres Engine

Jumbofile

t145cBX.png

This is my 2D Side Scroller ORPG Engine written in Java. Not a "no programming required engine" like we typically see around here. This is being developed for my own game but I decided to make it open source for other people to use. Its not currently ready to be used but I'm putting as much free time as I can into it.

Currently the GitHub repo is private. I will make it public once basic movement Is implemented. This post is for documentation at this point.

//Summary

Currently the client can:

- Accept login credentials and validate them over the server

- Keep a consistent connection to the server

- Use a TCP socket with UDP functionality

- Load and display graphics from a folder

- Have multiple game states and move between them

Currently the server can:

- Take commands to display and add to SQL databases. 

- Example: "/sql getdb:DBNAME" will print a database in the server console

- Edit user information

- Update admin with errors with game world

- Display vital information needed to run a multiplayer game

//Built With

Slick2d - The graphics framework used

Apache Derby - SQL databse used

TWL - Advanced GUI features

KyroNet - Networking

BCrypt - Encryption for login

//TODO

- Expand upon UDP for actual gameplay

- Implementing gameplay

- More SQL commands in server

- Add more databases relating to players

- More to come.....

//Screenshots

dhXHUxO.jpg

sKuNw54.png

I like your open source from the beginning approach. More “community driven” software should follow your example :^) 

Looking forward to seeing where this leads. I’d take more of a contribution look at it if it wasn’t Java lol Also looking forward to a slick post about your game!

Good luck man! Keep us posted

15 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

This looks like a really good start, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. I assume you'll be using Tiled for the map editor?

Im gonna briefly play with the idea of a custom map editor but Tiled seems like the best way to go.

2 minutes ago, SkywardRiver said:

I like your open source from the beginning approach. More “community driven” software should follow your example :^) 

Looking forward to seeing where this leads. I’d take more of a contribution look at it if it wasn’t Java lol Also looking forward to a slick post about your game!

Good luck man! Keep us posted

I have the repo, just want it to be more than what I have before people get a hold of it lol. Im implementing movement as we speak so shouldnt be more than a couple of days.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SOOOOOOO.... While work has been slow I've made some changes. I've switched from slick2d to libgdx and switched from Derby to H2. Many reasons to do this but it will make everything much easier for me.  Movement is being worked on and hopefully school wont get much crazier for a while.