Maximum Player / Usergroups

Incendium

Question

Hi, at first i used the Search and didnt found anything that could help me. So here are my Questions:

1. Where can i declare the max Number of players on my server?

I know from similar engines that there is hardcoded a maximum of players on  a server. I found nothing in the config.xml or anywhere else. Is there a limitation of players and if yes, where can i change it?

2. Is there a way to declare diffrent usergroups and give every group a limited number of logins?

The engine have diffrent groups like Moderators and Admins. What i want is add some more usergroups and give every group a limited number of logins to my server. So can say i want max 256 normal users, max 16 moderators and max 4 Admins at the same time on my server.

At last, sry for bad english and thanks for helpfull answers.

7 answers to this question

There is no hardcoded user limit at this time. 

As for user groups, we’ve never had a request like that before. It’s not something you’ll be able to do until the source is released unfortunately. 

Also just want to point out that limiting the number of staff you have logged in is kind of a bad practice. Staff should only be limited by the number of them, I've been on a team before with a feature like this, it was a pain in the **InvalidWordException** to co-ordinate our login times, and then even if we just wanted to play when not working we had to co-ordinate that because of the "group limit".

Yes, its a bit difficult with limited admin-accounts, but its a big security-feature. It would be bad if someone could use a adminaccount without recognizing it.

On the other side its important to limit the usernumbers on a server. At some point the server will crash or limited bandwidth made it important to controll the number of users. And i should know, before i start to make a game, for how much user should i design my world? For 100, 1.000 or maybe more?

I cant fit 50 players in a shoproom, which i designed for 5.

1 hour ago, Incendium said:

Yes, its a bit difficult with limited admin-accounts, but its a big security-feature. It would be bad if someone could use a adminaccount without recognizing it.

On the other side its important to limit the usernumbers on a server. At some point the server will crash or limited bandwidth made it important to controll the number of users. And i should know, before i start to make a game, for how much user should i design my world? For 100, 1.000 or maybe more?

Yes, but realistically speaking you will not have more than 100(MAX) players on at the same time. If your project is getting enough attention to have more than that, you will know and you can plan accordingly.

You should also consider picking your staff more carefully if you are afraid that you will have too many admin accounts running around abusing their powers. Normally 1 admin per 50 players should be more than enough.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, XerShade said:

Also just want to point out that limiting the number of staff you have logged in is kind of a bad practice. Staff should only be limited by the number of them, I've been on a team before with a feature like this, it was a pain in the **InvalidWordException** to co-ordinate our login times, and then even if we just wanted to play when not working we had to co-ordinate that because of the "group limit".

There are others in the world that have felt my pain!!!!!! I thought I was the only one!

You shouldn't limit staff, really you shouldnt limit users either. When you see your server starting to lag because of to many users online that is really a good thing! You should at this point write a launcher and server selector and launch another server and just keep on ticking away.

I see no valid usage for limiting users on the server.  However if you truly wanted to do this, there are a million and one ways to do it through your network configuration and not your server configuration. This would be a better place to implement this kind of filtering anyway. 

- Launch VPN Service

- Put server on VPN Service

- Limit connected guests and user group logins to vpn

Most operating systems have built in abilities to connect to VPNs so this would be a matter of throwing up a tutorial on how to connect to the vpn and you are done!

On 7/4/2018 at 12:47 AM, Incendium said:

I would like to note that you should not design mmorpg shops for only 5 people. This is one of the reasons you see mmorpg shops in wide open areas or some dude just standing on a street corner selling magical weapons. 

You should NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER limit the number of players that can connect to your server at a time. You should have a footprint of your players bandwidth, ram, and cpu usage to play the game. You should know well ahead of time as your game progresses when you will need to scale.  

Further more I think you should reflect on vertical scaling over horizontal scaling. Given that more or less the entire engine is a huge rubix cube solving machine (grid calculations) connected to a telephone (internet) what you can get on a server these days, I think you could design for around 10k players on your server at any given time. 

I see no reason why this tech wouldnt support such a thing if you design for such a thing and feed it the hardware it needs. 

I have been part of a team that launched a commercial mmorpg before, not at anytime did we ever consider limiting the number of players that could connect to a server and instead only thought about giving the players enough space (both in technology and in world design) to spread out and grow.

So if we can do an estimated 10k connected to the server at one time, across four different time zones, assuming most players will play say 6 hours a day 7 days a week (Which is on the very high side) You could easily see 45k - 60k registered accounts on your game before you would ever even need to think about launching another server or limiting connections to your server. 

If you reach these numbers and still don't know what to do, then you should hire someone that knows what to do, and still not fret about it. 

Pretty much. I usually set my minecraft and ark server to what I think might peak times two, and if it hits that i double the slots. Honestly would just remove that cap if I could. What putting a cap on it does is basically announce to the world, "Hey, I don''t think my game/server can handle more then this amount of people." So then people look for other games with more/no limit because they do NOT want to be unable to play the game.