Event System help thread

Beefy Kasplant

Hi guys,

Since I enjoy working with the event system a lot, but my own project is on hold I'm here to help you out! 

Post your event, and Ill help you fix it up! 

RULES:

1. This is a HELP thread, Im not here to make systems from scratch.

2. Follow the post guidelines below when making a request, if you don't follow these simple rules I will ignore your request.

GUIDELINES:

All requests must contain:

1. Thorough explanation of what you want the event to do

2. Screenshot of your current event

3. Explanation of your thought processes when making the event

4. Explanation of what is not working

Hoping to see some requests soon!

• 1 month later...

Well, Intersect is a new engine for me, I would like to know how I can do unique events, events that can not be repeated, such as NPC's that teach things to new players, or dialogs that can not be repeated any more.

Forgive me, but I do not have any screenshot right now.

Thanks. 

31 minutes ago, Kurpel said:

Well, Intersect is a new engine for me, I would like to know how I can do unique events, events that can not be repeated, such as NPC's that teach things to new players, or dialogs that can not be repeated any more.

Forgive me, but I do not have any screenshot right now.

Thanks. 

Your best bet is to use the Conditional Branch command and use player variables. Say you want an NPC to teach a player a spell. You have a player switch called HasLearnedFireball or whatever, and then make a Conditional Branch when you make the NPC checking if that switch is true or false. If it's false, you teach them the spell and then set HasLearnedFireball to true, so that next time they talk to the NPC, instead of learning the spell again they do something else.

1 hour ago, mcadams said:

Your best bet is to use the Conditional Branch command and use player variables. Say you want an NPC to teach a player a spell. You have a player switch called HasLearnedFireball or whatever, and then make a Conditional Branch when you make the NPC checking if that switch is true or false. If it's false, you teach them the spell and then set HasLearnedFireball to true, so that next time they talk to the NPC, instead of learning the spell again they do something else.

Im really free to create any kind of switch and the engine will understand/read it?

For example, if I create a switch named "FirstMeet" and use this with true/false to determine that a dialog will be displayed only once in the first time the player meets an NPC, how do I do this?

4 minutes ago, Kurpel said:

Im really free to create any kind of switch and the engine will understand/read it?

For example, if I create a switch named "FirstMeet" and use this with true/false to determine that a dialog will be displayed only once in the first time the player meets an NPC, how do I do this?

The problem with using "FirstMeet" is that switches are by default False, so you'd want to word it like "MetBefore" or something. The naming of your switches doesn't actually matter, it's just for your own organizational sake. So you create an event that is your NPC, and add the command Conditional Branch for the player switch MetBefore. Under false, you'll want to put in commands for what happens the first time the player meets the NPC, and make the last command set the switch MetBefore to true. Under true, you'll add commands for what happens when the player talks to the NPC, but it's not the first time they've talked to them. This way, the first time they talk to the NPC, it will be a unique set of commands, and then every time after that it would be a different set of commands.

15 minutes ago, mcadams said:

The problem with using "FirstMeet" is that switches are by default False, so you'd want to word it like "MetBefore" or something. The naming of your switches doesn't actually matter, it's just for your own organizational sake. So you create an event that is your NPC, and add the command Conditional Branch for the player switch MetBefore. Under false, you'll want to put in commands for what happens the first time the player meets the NPC, and make the last command set the switch MetBefore to true. Under true, you'll add commands for what happens when the player talks to the NPC, but it's not the first time they've talked to them. This way, the first time they talk to the NPC, it will be a unique set of commands, and then every time after that it would be a different set of commands.

Thank you very much mcadams! It worked perfectly, and besides helping me with this event you taught me how the switch system works. I'm very grateful.