Making Your Server Live - For Free

Gallus

So, I've seen a few topics with people asking how to make their server live for others to play, as well as, I believe, one topic that mentioned the awful Hamachi product. You should never stoop to using Hamachi. I remember using it back in '06 to run a stupid little private server (which is Illegal and I no longer support). I stumbled upon a forum thread a few years ago that mentioned an amazing way to get a good VPS for FREE. Unfortunately, it is only temporary but, I do believe you can utilize it multiple times by using a free texting app such as TextNow. ( I have not verified this ).

NOTE: This is not a permanent solution for obtaining a free VPS. I only utilize this method when I am just going into testing stages and do not wish to spend money on a VPS when I can put it towards things to continue to build upon my project(s). This method IS NOT a good option to use if you intend to run your server for longer than 30 days.

Now, let us get to the point!

Google Cloud Computing, Hosting Services & APIs | Google Cloud Platform   <---- This is the quick and easy solution to getting your server online for a short period of time, if you are on a budget, and do not wish to port forward your own IP for security reasons.

How is this possible, you ask? Well, allow me to fill you in on the beauty of the Google Cloud Platform!

Requirements: 

1. A Gmail Account.
  2. A cell phone w/ texting. (data charges may apply, but I have unlimited data, so I'm unsure of this)
  3. A Credit Card (You will not be charged. It states on the Google Cloud site when signing up as well. It is just to prove you are not a robot)
  4. Some basic knowledge of how a VPS actually functions

Steps to obtain your free trial VPS:

Step One: Obtaining your Gmail Account

Spoiler

If you do not have a Gmail account currently, please head over to http://www.gmail.com/ and register yourself a gmail account.

Step Two: Signing up for Google Cloud

Spoiler

Once you have your Gmail account, head on over to http://cloud.google.com/ and make sure you are signed into your Gmail account. Once there, you can click on Try It Free in two(2) different spots.

d2c6228843f8abf40fba070c91708d36.png

Step Three: Filling In Your Information

Spoiler

After you click on Try It Free, you will be brought to the page where you enter in your personal information. If you view the box on the right side, you will see what is included with your free trial. I have outlined the box stating that you will not be charged after the trial is over.

cafe493a0b716c09bb4906950493c2ca.png

Step Four: Setting up your free VPS

Spoiler

Once you have fully signed up for your free trial, it will show you how much credit and time is left on your free trial. Initially it is $300 and 60 days.

028e30842a284aad5be214e4ce2aa813.png

Once you are at this part in the step, click the menu icon on the left side, and click on the outlined link pictured below.

71172ddd5a74da90b544bcf975eda8fb.png

This is the page that lists all the instanced you have set up. So, you could have multiple VPS at a time if you wish, as long as you do not go over the $300 credit you have been given.

Once here, click on the Create Instance button at the top of the page.

b2c2fdc0c48623ebf59919ced67c798e.png

On this page you will be able to select what you would like in the VPS you are creating. It is a very user friendly page. Just be sure to not go over your $300 limit!

It shows you on the right hand side (as shown outlined in the below image) how much the VPS will cost you per month! Make sure you pay attention!

066eeffc256a16433903684b2d337144.png

Step Five: Setting up a password and connecting via Remote Desktop

Spoiler

Once you create the VPS instance, head back to the Compute Engine page, and you should now see your VPS listed. You will see a little RDP dropdown box (as displayed in the image below). You can change the password through that dropdown box, as well as download your RDP file to connect via Remove Desktop.

bf32b9737eaf219ed339f8427c76c4c3.png

Step Six: Connecting to your VPS

If you are unsure how to connect to your VPS via Remote Desktop, I recommend downloading the RDP file and just double clicking that. It is self explanatory after that.

Step Seven: Opening your Port for your server.

Spoiler

Connect to your VPS and go into your Firewall Advanced Settings window.

175ef1f0dfeab40d5769d72209466ccd.png

Once there,  go into your Inbound Rules tab and click on New Rule...

Once there, select Port and click next

a813089678d1e907d0bb66e2a185692b.png

Now, enter the port that your server runs on. (You will be doing either TCP or UDP for this rule, and will have to add a second rule for the other, so you will have one rule for TCP and one rule for UDP.

If you do not know what TCP and UDP are, please reference THIS LINK . It explains what they stand for and what they are for.

When selecting your port please take into account what was stated on this thread:

Spoiler

4f87819220bb36a1f4009e31868d8c80.png

Now make sure you have Allow the Connection ticked and click next.

c5de896d38a7445f0506c6b4817f32b8.png

For this next page, I always leave all three options ticked. So, do that, and click next.

1112b8a977b4733ca497fde93f9023dd.png

Congratulations! You have just created a free VPS and opened the ports for your server! 

Please remember, this is not a permanent solution for obtaining a VPS. This will be good for testing phases of your game without having to spend money that could go toward the physical development of your server. I do not support the continuous use of the Free Trial that Google graciously provides to its clients. If you intent to run the server full-time, please purchase a VPS plan with either Google or your preferred hosting site. And or, set up your own server at home. Taking advantage of a trial service puts the company out of money. 

Edited by Gallus
Added a new tidbit into the opening port section.

20 minutes ago, irvanshihap said:

my knowledge, the trial version is have not full access.

I can attest I have the free trial currently, and I have full access to everything.

36 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Be aware that if you're willing to invest some knowledge into how Linux works, there are far cheaper options available for doing this. Windows servers are significantly more expensive in general.

I agree. Linux is amazing for vps use. I have used it in the past. And I intend to re-learn what I have since forgotten. This method that I've based my tutorial around is good for beginners who would like a free solution to getting started and testing.

For future reference of those reading this: If you do learn Linux I suggest PuTTy for usage. It's nice and free.

• 1 month later...

Well i have set up a Windows server VPS and I cant Change the Security setting in my browser to below "High" so I cant download anything 0.0" 

Anyone have a clue why and how can it change?
------
Fixed

Just add the sites you want to download from at the Trusted Site in the browser settings.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2017 at 8:19 PM, Ariel said:

Well i have set up a Windows server VPS and I cant Change the Security setting in my browser to below "High" so I cant download anything 0.0" 

Anyone have a clue why and how can it change?
------
Fixed

Just add the sites you want to download from at the Trusted Site in the browser settings.

You need to go into settings and just disable the security. 

If you go into Server Manager, under security settings, it can be found in there. As long as you only download things you know are safe, you will be fine.