[ALPHA] Project Keira

xChimerical

**BUGS** - This section I will post all the bugs I encountered

1: Character Sheet not drawing correctly for a fresh created character

Spoiler

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.Drawing.Bitmap'.
   at ProjectKeira.modDrawCharacterDoll.DrawCharacterDoll(Int32 CharID)
   at ProjectKeira.frmCharacterSheet.DrawCharacterGraphics()
   at ProjectKeira.frmCharacterSheet.frmCharacterSheet_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

for some reason the app is trying to cast a string where a bitmap is detected. Game continues fine when clicking Continue to ignore.

2: Trying to inspect an item in the inventory menu creates an error

Spoiler

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: C:\0 Games\Keira\Items\
   at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
   at ProjectKeira.frmCharacterSheet.Inventory_InspectItem()
   at ProjectKeira.frmCharacterSheet.btnInventoryInspect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Easy fix... the item images are not in the "items\" subfolder, but the "data\items\" subfolder

3: Hermaphrodite characters are only generating male names (and should select between both male and female I believe...unless this is intended)

4: Grammatical and spelling errors

Spoiler

ITS RAININ = It's raining. (All capitals doesn't mesh well in the log when everything else is not all capitalized. Also spelling and punctuation.)
The wonder of... = The wonder of the sea, as it stretches to the horizon, suddenly touches you with a moment of realization. You feel small. (run on sentence, spelling, no punctuation)
etc...

Not really too important during this phase of development but something to look into if you want an increased player base at a final release. If you are foreign and need help later down the road send me a string dump, I will help in this area :)

5: New Item: Clay (0) ... this is not a new item (If itemsFound > 0)

6: The second time I opened my character sheet, the Belongings tab showed I have no items in my inventory.
This is game breaking I can no longer consume or equip items. (fix suggestion is in bug 7)

7: Finding a new item (I dug for clay) with the character sheet open, refreshed my item list! Use the command that refreshes item list from this section of code and reference it in the Create Character Sheet Form to fix bug above.

8: Craft window needs to close to be refreshed (have it refresh when a new item is obtained like the character sheet does)

9: Clicking items in belongings list (The first click is fine, but when you select a second item to inspect during the same form it errors.) It is creating the following exception:

Spoiler

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'index'.
Parameter name: index
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.SelectedListViewItemCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at ProjectKeira.frmCharacterSheet.ListViewInventory_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)

check code to see why it is not updating with the proper item index.

10: Not really a bug but I'm playing on a laptop (has no numpad) so an alternate way of moving? I literally stood 2 days at the wreck site for all the previous bugs logged LOL...opening on-screen keyboard to continue :)

11: Walked two tiles and got this exception:

Spoiler

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-1' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
   at ProjectKeira.frmMainGame.DrainAllCharacterNeeds()
   at ProjectKeira.frmMainGame.GameTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

No clue here you probably do, though... maybe progress going -1 because I'm dying...I did just stand by water until near death LOL!
EDIT: Yep as soon as I clicked "Continue" to ignore the exception it popped up and said you died :( My next life I will be able to walk though!

12: Occasionally movement just stopped working for me, had to click "Walk, Run, or Sprint" to resume functionality
should capture keyboard input regardless of which part of the form is active for movement

I will find more I'm sure as I play but as far as the actual game, I'm loving it after getting over the annoying bugs. Bugs were expected though as it is an early release, and I will be following this project for sure. First form-based game I enjoyed since the old-school Dope Wars. Keep it up, and sorry for the extensive list (and in advanced for the next list LOL)

Good work!

19 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

may I ask why this is done in forms?

why not draw it to screen?

just curious :)

Because I'm a total noob. Ivery been programming for years, but it's just a hobby. The engine has no gfx system, so it struggles with loading pictures into picture boxes.  I dread to think how it handles drawing to screen :D

Ideally the game would be a top down multilayer game, I can pixel for it, just not program for it.

ah I see :)

you could always look at Orion+ for the drawing ya know, it uses the default drawing, and SFML, I think default would suit you just fine ^.^

or a simple example like this> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.drawing.graphics(v=vs.110).aspx?cs-save-lang=1&cs-lang=vb#code-snippet-1

PROJECT KEIRA - V0.1.0.1 - BY THE HEARTH

PLEASE ENJOY RESPONSIBLY

DOWNLOAD HERE

Please report any bugs found, as there will be many.

This game is very early release, as you'll see as there is very little user interface graphics or content in place.

Please feel free to change and create files in the "Data" and "Graphics" sub-folder, which will allow you to create content in-game,

such as items, events, new sentient races and creatures.

You can move around the map using the numpad directional keys.

You can exit most screens by double-clicking on the background (You may need to try different

spots on some screens. Sorry)

CHANGELOG

BY THE HEARTH - V0.1.0.1 - 25.09.16

Bug Fixes
- Hermaphrodites will now draw properly without error.
- Hermaphrodites will not generate starting traits.
- Inspecting an item without a graphic will not error.
- Fixed "New Items" reporting when 0 found.
- Gaining new items will now refresh the character sheet and crafting screen.
- Selected a second (or third, etc) item in the Belongings tabn will no longer error.
- Key Input for movement should now be far more detected.

Theoretical Bug Fixes
- Dying of starvation/thirst -SHOULD- no longer cause an error in regards to Progress Bars. Still needs confirming.

Features
- 9-directional QWEDCXZA Movement added.
- World Crafter added.
- Game Options added.
- Added a difficulty modifier to need draining.

Improvements
- World Gen algorithms improved.

@PhenomenalDev you should be able to make your own races now. Check out Fauna, or whatever I called the animals sunflower.  Humans have a sentient tag and some bits about biomass and settlements. I'm sure I made a dwarf species that only settle in mountains at one point. 

And what do you mean by all races are all genders?

1 minute ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@Azkanan You saying you give up on keira? Or am I really stupid?

Yeah. 9/10 months of it and I'm burned out. It's too big a project for one man. And it doesn't really have that much appeal in gameplay. It's my first lengthy production, and I doubt the infrastructure it has will allow a CPU to survive past the second day.

1 minute ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@Azkanan Shame I might download the latest version and try to cobble something together if I have some spare time, I hope you come back to it soon and what are you gonna use your new forums for then? Other projects?

Yeah, possibly the GIF I just showed you on the shoutbox, if anything comes of that.

And sure. Feel free to take the code off of me if you want to continue it yourself.

13 minutes ago, PhenomenalDev said:

@Azkanan Lel I mean the files location as in hard drive location also any chance I could get the source code?

They get set up in your user > local > app (or so) folder.

Sure. I'll set it up to you when I get a chance. PM me your email and I'll add you to the dropbox for it.

• 1 month later...