Favorite RPG?

Henry

This always brings out some interesting titles. All you have to do is state your top 3 RPGs. Anything particularly nostalgic? Or just plain awesome?

My top 3 are:

1. Morrowind

2. Final Fantasy 1(NES)

3. Grandia

Morrowind wasn't afraid to take you to a crazy dark elf world, which was fully immersive. It was one of the first really completely immersive sandbox rpgs on any console yet to date. Between the world, the writing, the skills and the music it was nearly perfect expect for a few flaws like hiccups in the combat system. But for transporting the player to another world, which is the essence of a Role-Playing-Game to me has to go to morrowind.

I chose Final Fantasy 1(NES) second because this was the first RPG I was ever exposed to. I was probably about 6 years old and played this at a friends house. It was the first time I had ever connected the idea of numbers to damage. And all sorts of other common rpg tropes. It was all downhill since then ;)

Third I chose Grandia because Like Morrowind It was able to immerse you in a completely different world. It spanned 4 discs on the PS1 and it seemed to just be gigantic and go on forever. It was one of the first PS1 games I owned in the 90s shortly after upgrading from SNES. The music and the 3d cut scenes and everything were just over top the top for the time when I was used to playing SNES games.

Hbu?

Final Fantasy 9 - Love the remake of characters and storyline. My favorite in the series.

Zelda: Link to the Past - Awesome graphics, music and characters. Still play this one.

Shining Force - A real gem of the Sega Genesis and one of the few RPG games on it. A nice mix between rpg and strategy.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...