64x64 maps

SneakBug8

Question

7 answers to this question

Sorry guys. Gonna hi-jack this post.

You should not change the size of each map without really good reason!!!

Unlike Eclipse and other engines that you may have used in the past, Intersect loads and processes 9 maps at a time instead of 1. This is because we offer seamless mapping. This means that you can create large areas spread across many maps instead of one massive map for each area.  If you haven't tested this system please see this:

If you make maps larger and use a seamless world you are nearly quadrupling the amount of work the client and server has to do for each player -- this is really, really bad for performance reasons.

If you insist on using larger maps and are going to ignore the alternatives:

After you change the setting in the configuration file you have to delete the intersect.db file in the Server/Resources folder. That will make it work but it won't be optimal by any means.

50 minutes ago, SneakBug8 said:

I need only to make maps size in tiles bigger, not upper tile size :)

Also, 32x32 maps are too small for using in my game, becausr 1 city is like 4 locations, what is not good.

In Client and Editor > Resources > Entities, if you don't use any of the following images:

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, ... 178,

You won't have to resize them.  But if you do use them, you will need to enlarge them by 200% in order for them to work with 64x64 pixel tiles.

In Client and Editor > Resources > Tilesets, if you don't use any of the following images:

Tileset1, Tileset2, Tileset3, Tileset4, Tileset5, ... Tileset12,

You won't have to resize them.  But if you do use them, you will need to enlarge them by 200% in order for them to work with 64x64 pixel tiles.

In Client and Editor > Resources > Misc, you must enlarge the following images:

attributes, directions, eventicon, lighticon, spawnicon, target, and transtile.

If you don't resize them, they will not work with your 64 x 64 pixel tiles.

I will go ahead and resize the the Misc images for you, zip them, and upload them here so you can download them, unzip them, and replace your current Misc images with them.

http://ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/bd03a577d164db5e0201f91d86731285.rar

If you need me to resize the default Entities or Tilsets images, let me know, and I will resize them too.

Try going to Intersect > Server > Resources and delete the Intersect.db file.  This will erase all of your maps.  Then restart the Server.  When the Server is running, open up the Client and Register an account again.  This will probably get rid of those error messages.  Also, don't forget to enlarge all of the default images by 200%.

In Client and Editor > Resources > Tilesets, you will need to resize the default images.  Same for Client and Editor > Resources > Entities.  And also, Client and Editor > Resources > Misc.  If you use 48 x 48 pixel tiles, you will need to make all your of default images in these three folders 150% bigger (because 48 pixels is 150% bigger than 32 pixels).  If you use 64 x 64 pixel tiles, you will need to enlarge all of your default images in these three folders by 200%.

17 minutes ago, SneakBug8 said:

Also, 32x32 maps are too small for using in my game, becausr 1 city is like 4 locations, what is not good.

Ah I see! Gaveitatry has lots of experience with this, I'd keep bugging him or wait for a developer to post :) if not you could always try to make unique gameplay mechanics with the limitations you have. Cheers!

49 minutes ago, SneakBug8 said:

If you meant 64 x 64 tile maps and not 64 x 64 pixel tiles, then don't worry about resizing any images.  You only need to resize Resources images if you change the size of the tiles.  For 64 x 64 tile maps, you can fix the error messages by deleting the Intersect.db file in Server > Resources.