Usage of 2.5D tilemaps (like PVGames)

char32

Question

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask if someone has experience and some hints or tips with the 2.5D style tilemaps from PVGames. Like the high fantasy pack listed her: https://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/high-fantasy-resource-packs/

I bought some assets/resource packs from PVGames but I am not quite sure how to get started with them.

Are there any grid and/or map settings that need to.be done?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer. Glad to hear that they at least work together with Intersect :-)

Currently I try to use Mythos Reawakening and Medieval Town & Country + Interiors

I tried to create something like in this picture:
i7S46C.png

In detail I started with the two tilesets: MythosGroundDecals_3.png and Mythos_Cars_1.png.

It seems like the tiles do not quite fit together or are too large. I then shrinked the tilesets by factor 4 with GIMP. But then e.g. the tile that includes the top of the car, does also include some pixels of the bottom of the other car. So that didn't work too.

Also I guess I need diagonal movement for this isometric view but that's another topic.

I have to admit that I am a software engineer and have only limited knowledge to graphic design and even less knowledge in mapping. Bit willing to learn :-)
I searched if there would be a kind of 2.5D tutorial for Intersect but I did not find one.

Oh and by the way the non-2.5D tilesets included with Intersect are quite easy to handle so far.

I also did not alter any server tilesizes in the config.

Sorry for so much text!

It's really really hard to use them right now. I have the full set and most of the Patreon stuff, afraid to calculate what I spent haha.

Anyway 8 direction movement is a help, the other thing I experimented with was making the engine use very small tile sizes so I could block closer to the diag parts if that makes sense.

Really I have on and off spent many many hours to try to easily use them with no luck. 8 direction movement isn't a magic fix either, it's going to be a lot of time in Photoshop/Gimp.

Yep. I am Patreon, too. Those graphic sets are really nice! :-)

Good hint with the small tile sizes for diagonal blocking. I'll give it try! But yeah it seems to be quite hard to use those assets.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, char32 said:

For those sets you will want to make sure you set your tile width and height to 48 in the servers config file. Also set the # of sprite animations in that file as well.

any of the really large buildings (if there are any) i would suggest splitting them up into a couple of smaller images with photoshop or something.

for the ground I would use the decals to create a seamless tileset to use as a base layer (multiple of 48).

An example of what i did for the ground is created modular pieces of ground cover and decals. Also did the same for hills and such in photoshop

Spoiler

As Smoot mentioned 8 direction movement helps it all feel better while playing.

If you have issues with building/cars/trees getting cut off in the editor just edit the canvas sizes of those images to be a multiple of 48. Doable and looks nice but using these takes a lot of tweaking when you run into an issue.

*I would also add a couple new map layers for the ground*

Wow, your game looks really really good!!

Thanks for all the help! I did set the tile size to 48 and added some layers and
that already works way better. For example I use a road decal (the complete thing with the shadows around) and then I alternate one piece on layer 1, the next on layer 2, so that they overlap. Looks quite well! :-)

The actual map size (number of tiles) can be set by user preference, right? if I multiply the tile size by 1,5, I should probably do that for the map width/height likewise.

Also with number of sprites you mean setting those to 8 (seems to be the PVGames default), right? https://docs.freemmorpgmaker.com/en-US/configuration/server.html#sprites

@Smoot: You mean besides the decal tile sets those are usually 32px?

Thanks!