Can I encrypt my resources.

nguyenbamanh

Question

20 answers to this question

Depending on what you want to do.. there's two steps from there. 

If you want to use the built in updater, just upload the folder as usual.

If you want to use some other means of distribution.. you need to manually copy a few files and folders from the resources folder (off the top of my head):

packs

shaders

gui\layouts

fonts

the other resource folders are no longer required as the asset packs contain then.

12 hours ago, Cheshire said:

Depending on what you want to do.. there's two steps from there. 

If you want to use the built in updater, just upload the folder as usual.

If you want to use some other means of distribution.. you need to manually copy a few files and folders from the resources folder (off the top of my head):

packs

shaders

gui\layouts

fonts

the other resource folders are no longer required as the asset packs contain then.

Thanks, I did it, and it works, but I don't know why they appear now because of the displaced graphic maps that I did not leave there

@Чешир I only managed to find how to import .xnb  in .png/jpg, but I need exactly the opposite. Also, since it is possible to import .xnb in .png, etc., doesn't this mean that encryption is easy to bypass? It's not so scary for a single player, but we're talking about an online game. Is this the only possible encryption method?

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to ask, but I'll do my best to respond to what I think your concerns are.

5 minutes ago, Castiel said:

doesn't this mean that encryption is easy to bypass?

It's an open source engine written in .Net, anyone can basically look into the source code and figure out how it's done to undo it if they feel like it.

By default, the editor can package up all graphics, sound and music files into resource packs that are encrypted and bundled together to make it somewhat more challenging for just any regular user to grab your files.

This is of course by no means a "100% safety guaranteed" situation, and frankly we'll likely never implement anything that's much more sophisticated or harder to crack. (It'd be somewhat pointless to considering anyone serious enough can crack the most complex commercial grade solutions as well). It's mostly just a deterrent for the folks that just want to copy paste your work.

7 minutes ago, Castiel said:

It's not so scary for a single player, but we're talking about an online game.

I'm not sure I see why asset encryption is scarier for an online game though? All the modifications made to the client will only ever be on the client that was modified.

7 minutes ago, Castiel said:

Is this the only possible encryption method?

By default and what we are likely to provide? Yes.

Doesn't stop you from adding your own method to do it to the engine though, but I seriously question if that's worth the effort. As stated before, large corporations with millions to throw at copy protection still have their systems cracked. I'd honestly be more worried about having a good game made than someone copying your files, because chances are that if they need to copy your files it means your game is popular.. and they will likely fail at making anything worth competing against you.

@Cheshire I am concerned about this because the player will be able to edit any text or picture and thus have priority over other players.

1 hour ago, Cheshire said:

По умолчанию редактор может упаковывать все графические, звуковые и музыкальные файлы в пакеты ресурсов, которые зашифрованы и объединены вместе, чтобы сделать его несколько более сложным для обычного пользователя, чтобы захватить ваши файлы.

Can you tell me how? I can't find

2 minutes ago, Castiel said:

I am concerned about this because the player will be able to edit any text or picture and thus have priority over other players.

Seems like a somewhat minor concern all things considered to be honest. A far more pressing concern is having a game worth trying to cheat in first.

2 minutes ago, Castiel said:

Can you tell me how? I can't find

No idea, I don't read (presumably) Russian and I don't understand the context of the question.

@Чешир An example of how a player can become a "cheater" by using the "resources" folder. Other players can see him, but he is invisible to himself. And in this way you can do a lot and get a bigger overview, for example

https://imgur.com/a/J53lq20

Понятия не имею, я не читаю (предположительно) по-русски и не понимаю контекста вопроса.

Yes, I write in Russian  :) I wanted to know how I would do what you said here:

По умолчанию редактор может упаковывать все графические, звуковые и музыкальные файлы в пакеты ресурсов, которые зашифрованы и объединены вместе.

I don't quite agree with that being a cheat. But I suppose that's a discussion for another time and place.

As for your question, could you not translate what I wrote to Russian when you quote stuff? I can't tell what was quoted.

@Cheshire Sorry, the browser automatically translated and I didn't notice!

I repeat my message:

I would like to know how to do what you said here:

By default, the editor can package up all graphics, sound and music files into resource packs that are encrypted and bundled together to make it somewhat more challenging for just any regular user to grab your files.

10 hours ago, Castiel said:

@Cheshire Sorry, the browser automatically translated and I didn't notice!

I repeat my message:

I would like to know how to do what you said here:

Right, that makes sense.

Off the top of my head it works more or less like this:

1. In the editor options (File - Options) enable Asset packing and configure it to taste. (The default values are likely fine as well for trying it out)

2. Go to Tools - Package update (or something like that, forgot the exact name) and have it generate an update.

3. Create a copy of your client directory

4. Delete everything in the resources folder except for these folders and files (Again, from memory. Might miss a file or two hence the copy):

Fonts

Shaders

Gui\Layouts (the images in the GUI folder need to be deleted)

Client_Options.json

Client_Strings.json

5. Go into the update you generated and copy the Resources/Packs folder to your new client resources folder.

If I remember the steps correctly you should now have a client with encrypted resources.

@Cheshire I clicked "Tools - Package Update" and I got a new folder that is exactly the same as "Client and Editor". If I delete something from it, it won't be in the game. Nothing is encrypted. Maybe I did something wrong? Alas, due to an inaccurate translation, some of the described actions cannot be understood

@Чешир I forgot to check the box on the 2nd screenshot. Thanks! But the files .json remains easily accessible for editing.  I have an idea! Is it possible to check the integrity of the game files? If they were suddenly changed - the player will not be able to connect to the game? Or will the game automatically download the update and return the game to its previous state?

@Чешир An error has occurred. The game cannot find this sound. I decided to try adding the "sound" folder to the game folder, but the error remained

https://imgur.com/a/A4Ea6JG

Spoiler

2022-05-01 14:03:56.965 [Error] Error loading 'RPG-Theme_v001_Looping.ogg'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022-05-01 14:03:59.295 [Error] Error loading 'octave-tap-resonant.wav'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022-05-01 14:04:00.240 [Error] Error loading 'octave-tap-warm.wav'.

UPD: This problem appeared even if you go through the editor

Are you sure the client and editor (or the folder you're using to generate the update from) have the same files?

As for protecting the JSON files, possible in theory we just haven't implemented it. Same with any protection that strict. I guess you could keep a hashlist of files to compare to the server.. but that seems pretty extreme for a fairly minor worry.

@ЧеширBut nothing has changed in the "Client and Editor". The "packs" folder just appeared. By the way, deleting it doesn't help either.. Very strange..

UPD: I downloaded IE again, pulled out the "sounds" folder from there and threw it into my project. It didn't help