Can we gamify the editor client?

WereAlpaca

Question

Note: This is an extremely silly idea logistically I was just wondering if it's possible.

Can we within the terms of licensing gamify the editor client? I was thinking of creating assets for a game, then having source mods to make the editor have a unique world to each player.
Then from there I would have a hub world where players can meet eachother and explore the worlds other players have made. Is this allowed in any way?

3 answers to this question

Since i had to re-read this like 5 times let me just make sure im understanding what your saying lol.

By "gamify the editor client" you mean, the intersect editor.exe yes?

In my mind with how you explained it im seeing something like you load up the editor as a game, a sandbox build your own maps kind of game, and when you "debug" your map you "play it" and because you're all connected to the same server you share your maps with everybody and they can play yours, you can play theirs.

If this is what you were saying then yeah I could see something like that, would take some heavy edits but it could work.
Essentially you could distribute the editor with the client. Crowd source resources over time from your users etc to distribute with the editor and the client so there are a lot of tile sets to choose from. You would need to add more levels of permissions on the editor so they can only edit maps, not items or other things if that matters, you would prob want to add some permission checks to make it so they can only edit maps created by them etc, this is where the majority of the edits would come into play I think. You would need to basically work out a system to create, edit, and share the maps, to prevent griefers etc.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, OniSensei said:

Since i had to re-read this like 5 times let me just make sure im understanding what your saying lol.

By "gamify the editor client" you mean, the intersect editor.exe yes?

In my mind with how you explained it im seeing something like you load up the editor as a game, a sandbox build your own maps kind of game, and when you "debug" your map you "play it" and because you're all connected to the same server you share your maps with everybody and they can play yours, you can play theirs.

If this is what you were saying then yeah I could see something like that, would take some heavy edits but it could work.
Essentially you could distribute the editor with the client. Crowd source resources over time from your users etc to distribute with the editor and the client so there are a lot of tile sets to choose from. You would need to add more levels of permissions on the editor so they can only edit maps, not items or other things if that matters, you would prob want to add some permission checks to make it so they can only edit maps created by them etc, this is where the majority of the edits would come into play I think. You would need to basically work out a system to create, edit, and share the maps, to prevent griefers etc.

This is pretty close to what I mean! However, I want the players to have full access to the editor, just only building their own world - while still having the  client to log into the hub world and make friends with everyone else. So they would still have access to making quests, items and so on, with the only provided resources being the graphics. Definitely would need a system to create, edit, share maps, ideally through the hub world AKA the client.exe.

Okay so I don't think I'll do this but I was just wondering because it feels like it would create a very unique community.

23 hours ago, WereAlpaca said:

This is pretty close to what I mean! However, I want the players to have full access to the editor, just only building their own world - while still having the  client to log into the hub world and make friends with everyone else. So they would still have access to making quests, items and so on, with the only provided resources being the graphics. Definitely would need a system to create, edit, share maps, ideally through the hub world AKA the client.exe.

Okay so I don't think I'll do this but I was just wondering because it feels like it would create a very unique community.

It would definitely be different. But yeah you would definitely need to make it so the editor only shows maps they have made then on the editor, but like in the events they can warp to any map in the server. Then they load the client and it would bring them to a hub, maybe set a command to teleport them to their default map or something, and go from there idk. It sounds doable with some edits.