Skills interact with mouse

xholdz

Question

Hello guys! I'm developing my project based on a combat style ARPG, and I've been trying to make a very complete action system, some things I managed to modify, but others not. I don't really like the current combat system of the engine, for my purpose, but I believe that some here in the community also think so. So I would like to ask someone for help in order to progress in this direction. I've been studying the engine for the past few weeks but some things still seem a little confusing to me. At first I'm trying to create a type of skill in an area, interacting with the mouse, where I use the skill and after clicking with the mouse in an area the skill is projected in that x and y coordinate on the map where I clicked, but I still haven't I understood how I do to pass the mouse coordinates to the server, since all the skills mechanics happen there. For those who have played ragnarok online or other games that have an action combat style, you should understand what I'm talking about. Then it could be distributed to the community as an add-on. I believe it would serve many people hehe. Well, that's it guys whoever is willing to help me with this, just talk or send pm. And I'm sorry for my horrible English. I'm brazilian.. Thank you all for the attention.

Exemple bellow:

giphy.gif

Disparo_Arcano.gif

6 answers to this question

The entire mechanism you're trying to achieve here would likely require a few rewrites of how the system works at present.

But, essentially to start with you'd have to remove the original checks that exist for casting spells.. ie target requirements and such. Then write up a new targeting system based on coordinates instead.. add a bunch of checks to see if it's even possible to fast spells there. Then change how the client sends spell requests along with the mouse position translated to a world position to the server and handle the rest of the new logic from there.

It's definitely doable, but I'm not sure I'd say it'll be easy.

7 minutes ago, Joyce said:

The entire mechanism you're trying to achieve here would likely require a few rewrites of how the system works at present.

But, essentially to start with you'd have to remove the original checks that exist for casting spells.. ie target requirements and such. Then write up a new targeting system based on coordinates instead.. add a bunch of checks to see if it's even possible to fast spells there. Then change how the client sends spell requests along with the mouse position translated to a world position to the server and handle the rest of the new logic from there.

It's definitely doable, but I'm not sure I'd say it'll be easy.

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I really need help with this, as I still don't understand much about how the logic for the engine's spell system works. So if anyone is willing to help, thank you.

I'd suggest writing up the exact areas you need help with and doing some preliminary research yourself as that would probably make it easier for people to help you.

As it stands your request is rather vague. There's no telling how far you are and what you do and do not understand.

20 minutes ago, Joyce said:

I'd suggest writing up the exact areas you need help with and doing some preliminary research yourself as that would probably make it easier for people to help you.

As it stands your request is rather vague. There's no telling how far you are and what you do and do not understand.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion @Joyce. ^ ^ First of all, I would like to understand how verification for hotkeys works, so that when pressing a hotkey it does not trigger the skill immediately unless it is a self target skill. Then when pressing the hotkey, I would call the coordinates X and Y from the mouse on the map, and so when I click on the entity, then I would take the target from it and launch the skill in fact. Sorry if it looks a little confusing to you, but that's how the gif shows. This system was something I have already done, however, never in C #, but in Visual Basic, in one of the derived DX8 versions of E.O 2.0

If somebody can make the mouse "target" the current tile it's hovering over, then it might be a good first step. Start with a modification that shows X, Y, with mouse positioning. Then look into changing the targeting mechanics from entity based actions to tile based actions. I would suggest keeping both systems working and having a toggle in the skill type to determine tile based targeting or entity based targeting.

This could be all wrong but it's just from what I understand without actually looking at any of the code.

10 minutes ago, WereAlpaca said:

If somebody can make the mouse "target" the current tile it's hovering over, then it might be a good first step. Start with a modification that shows X, Y, with mouse positioning. Then look into changing the targeting mechanics from entity based actions to tile based actions. I would suggest keeping both systems working and having a toggle in the skill type to determine tile based targeting or entity based targeting.

This could be all wrong but it's just from what I understand without actually looking at any of the code.

Hey @WereAlpaca that's exactly what I want to do, to blend the two combat styles. Right now I'm looking to understand more about the engine to be able to reproduce this, however looking at the C # side for the Unity engine seems easier, now looking at the intersect side I can't reproduce this so far.