Boss Design

Coza

Question

Hey! less of a flat out question and more of a topic for discussion, I suppose? 

I was wondering what sort of concepts you had come up with in your project for unique boss designs? 

Or things you're planning on doing and achieving? 

I'm mostly just looking for general ideas with the event system and whatnot really. 

Thanks! 

2 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Coza said:

Hey! less of a flat out question and more of a topic for discussion, I suppose? 

I was wondering what sort of concepts you had come up with in your project for unique boss designs? 

Or things you're planning on doing and achieving? 

I'm mostly just looking for general ideas with the event system and whatnot really. 

Thanks! 

Here are a few examples I've had that can create some semi-unique boss fights. Mind, the systems are a bit restrictive right now, but it will improve in the future.

1) A Caster Boss: Make your boss unable to move by selecting the option in the NPC Editor. Grant him/her/it a wide variety of very large AoE attacks and projectiles to add dodge mechanics to your boss fights.  Your boss will stand idle, raining hell on the party fighting him.

2) Summoner Boss: Make an autorun event running in the background with a check for NPC's on Map = True. This event can summon mobs to the field every few seconds or minutes, setting these mobs to "Swarm" will cause them to all target the person attacking.

3) Map Boss: Make a normal boss, then place a graphicless, nameless NPC in the walls of the map. This NPC can fire arrows or fireballs ect across the map, causing the players to think up creative positioning to defeat them. 

There are countless more, just takes a bit of experimentation and creativity :)

I'd like to give a small shout-out to old the legend of Zelda games here.

If you look at my game "darkest dawn online" you will see one of the bosses called "wealthmurk". Basically, it's a boss where it's made up of lots of boulders stacked on top of eachother and you destroy each layer which provides a different challenge. This was stolen of a game called "the legend of Zelda: spirit tracks" with a boss called "Skeldritch". (Video here)

I'm sure there are many more boss ideas to magpie from TLOZ!