Generating Combo Points

Chqp

Question

Hi, 

I'm trying to develop a combo point system. Essentially, I want certain spells to add to a player variable (I'll call this a "generator") as well as subtract from the variable.

As it stands, I have a common event named +2. This event adds 2 to a PV which tracks this as it grows over different abilities contributions.

I then created an event spell named +2 which runs the common event +2.

This +2 event spell is then activated on collision through a projectile. This projectile is then used in the targeting type (linear projectile) of a damage spell. 

I thought this would work but I seem to be wrong. Upon use the spell does everything correct, but not update the PV. Is this the right way of going about this? Or is there a better way? Is this even possible?

4 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Chqp said:

Hi, 

I'm trying to develop a combo point system. Essentially, I want certain spells to add to a player variable (I'll call this a "generator") as well as subtract from the variable.

As it stands, I have a common event named +2. This event adds 2 to a PV which tracks this as it grows over different abilities contributions.

I then created an event spell named +2 which runs the common event +2.

This +2 event spell is then activated on collision through a projectile. This projectile is then used in the targeting type (linear projectile) of a damage spell. 

I thought this would work but I seem to be wrong. Upon use the spell does everything correct, but not update the PV. Is this the right way of going about this? Or is there a better way? Is this even possible?

I think only spells casted by the player can trigger events

49 minutes ago, Agoraphobic said:

Not sure if this is helpful.

What I did in my game was have the class have a maximum of 5 Mana Points (with no regen).  Then use different abilities to increase your mana by 1, while other moves drained the points.

That's a good idea, but wouldn't help me right now. I'll just have to wait for source. Thanks for the help