Javascript Javascript framework

Jumbofile

Ill keep this short and sweet.

Im looking to make an experimental client for my Orpg engine and im looking for some advice on which javascript game framework to use.

It needs to be able to communicate with a java server (this will probably be done with some other networking framework) and be light/fast enough for an ORPG.

An example would be phaser. I know nothing about any of the frameworks out there and im open to anything and everything even engines like godot.

Thanks!

As far as javascript frameworks go:
Phaser and PixiJS are the leading frameworks.
PixiJS is just a graphics/render engine while Phaser is a game engine (which includes extra features for gaming).

I am mixed between Phaser and PixiJS. I prefer PixiJS as far as the API goes, but Phaser has added features for gaming. If you wanna try Phaser, I recommend giving Phaser CE a try.

As far as game engines that offer HTML exporting:
Unity
Godot
GameMaker

Theres many others engines.

But I think the main concern is to figure out the network library to communicate with your server, and that is where im uncertain. I believe figuring out what route to take for the networking should be the first step. I believe you are wanting to communicate via sockets? It's been a long time since ive done socket networking. I know Socket.IO is very popular but i believe thats just websockets? I have to admit I don't know as much as I should know for networking.

17 hours ago, Shilo said:

As far as javascript frameworks go:
Phaser and PixiJS are the leading frameworks.
PixiJS is just a graphics/render engine while Phaser is a game engine (which includes extra features for gaming).

I am mixed between Phaser and PixiJS. I prefer PixiJS as far as the API goes, but Phaser has added features for gaming. If you wanna try Phaser, I recommend giving Phaser CE a try.

As far as game engines that offer HTML exporting:
Unity
Godot
GameMaker

Theres many others engines.

But I think the main concern is to figure out the network library to communicate with your server, and that is where im uncertain. I believe figuring out what route to take for the networking should be the first step. I believe you are wanting to communicate via sockets? It's been a long time since ive done socket networking. I know Socket.IO is very popular but i believe thats just websockets? I have to admit I don't know as much as I should know for networking.

Anything against Phaser 3?

On 11/18/2018 at 9:11 PM, Jumbofile said:

Anything against Phaser 3?

From my experience, it seems to be missing key features (in my opinion) that Phaser 2 has.
I believe the ones i noticed:
- It doesnt have a scale manager
- There is no video object.

I needed both of those features at the start of one of my projects, so it was a pretty big turn off with Phaser 3. There is probably other features that are missing. I am confused at why Phaser 3 is still lacking features from Phaser 2. Phaser CE is run by the community and still being updated, so i assume it is pretty up to date with Phaser 3 as far as features go.