Will server properly save on window close?

Shilo

Question

Will server properly save on window close?

There are 3 ways to close the server:
- "exit" command
- "x" button (or "close window" context menu)
- alt+f4

I'm not sure if Windows allows proper timing to correctly save data 100% every time. But I tried all 3 close methods and it seems to properly save (the player position at least) for all of the methods.

1. Does it properly save when closing the window or ending task of the application?
2. Is there a chance the server will NOT save due to not enough time to save when closing the window or forcing the task to end?
3. I noticed the server sometimes sends a message to the chat that the data was saved, is that the periodic/interval saving or will that also show on close/exit? (I've only seen it a couple times)

4. Side question: What's the interval of the server saving data?

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

Data tries to save on Alt+F4 and the X button, but once that command or button is pressed we have a limited amount of time to get our shutdown sequence done before windows will force close us.  If only a couple players are online you shouldn’t have a problem but if there is a ton of data to save it might take too long. If you don’t use the ‘exit’ command there is a chance for data loss. 

I don’t recall the interval in B4, but it is going to be like 30 seconds to 1 minute in B5, and we might make that interval adjustable via the config file.