Collaborative and Simultaneous Editing

Shilo

Question

I assume Intersect is designed to be able to work collaboratively, but I'd like to know the technical details to confirm or clear my worries before I work on it simultaneously with someone and possibly corrupt or override data unintentionally.

I'd like to edit a single Intersect server/database from two instances of the editor application via two computers with my girlfriend simultaneously/collaboratively. For example, she would work from the editor on her computer and be working on a map, while im using a separate editor from my computer and working on a connected map or using the other built in editors.

1. Has anyone had experiences with it and can confirm any success or problems?
2. Is there any cases where it will corrupt or override data?

3. Can one editor work on a map while another editor works on a different map (connected or not connected) at the same time without issues?

4. Can you edit other various parts of the database/server simultaneously without issues? (AKA item editor, event editor, animation editor, ect.)

5. Is it possible to work on the exact same map at the same time?

6. Does it become any more problematic when working with 3+ people at the same time?

To sum it up:

7. Does Intersect server allow simultaneous editing via two editor instances and what are any problems I should expect?

I know the Editor is basically just modifying the SQLite database, so in theory there should be little problems with modifying data simultaneously unless its data on the same field/row.

I recently tried working simultaneously with my girlfriend before. She was working on one map while i created a new map, but once the map was created, her screen showed a duplicate of her map (which was incorrect), it also showed the newly created map on the wrong side of her map. My screen correctly showed her map and my newly created map just fine and connected to the correct side. I was worried it might break any data, so I deleted the map and decided to wait till I get any confirmations for simultaneously editing.

I'm sure this topic and feature is fairly complex and big, but id like to cover as many doubts as possible without breaking our database data. I also tried searching the forums first, i wasn't able to find any discussions on this topic.

Thank you for any input or help!

2 answers to this question

You all can not work on the same map at the same time, or the same game objects (items, resources, etc)

Even if you all do it won’t break anything, whoever saves first will cause the other person to refresh and lose their changes. 

I don’t know how many people have done a lot of simultaneous editting though, so there might be some undiscovered or unreported bugs there. 

You should not fret about losing tons of data or massively corrupting anything - the engine won’t let that happen. 

Thank you. That's basically the theory I had. Thank you for confirming. Although it doesn't explain the bug I ran into though. I guess it will be best to test it out and avoid editing the same resources.