UPnP Problem With Hosting a Server

Extin

Question

Hey guys so I've got a problem. Every time I throw the server up I get the error "UPnP Service Initialization Failed. You might not have a router, or UPnP on your router might be disabled", then it throws nothing but this in the logs:

2018-05-16 02:06:50.702 [Info] Database backup at 2018-05-15 08-06-50 took  277ms
2018-05-16 02:06:51.182 [Info] Listening on 0.0.0.0:5400.

I've also attached a screenshot of what my server says when I throw it up. What exactly is it I must do to fix this problem? I have UPnP enabled on my router settings, my computer and I also have the server.exe allowed through my firewall.

Capture.PNG

7 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Extin said:

I have port forwarded as well. But I'm currently checking out my routers firewall. I'm just asking the people on my Discord to test it out

Port Forwarding IS the process of allowing applications through your router's firewall and routing ports to a designated machine. By port forwarding, you've already allowed access through the firewall. If you've already port forwarded, the fact that uPnP is failing doesn't mean that you game isn't accessible from the internet. I would test it by connecting through public IP first and if you can connect, the uPnP error is just completely irrelevant and can be ignored.

Everything i will tell you on this replay will depemd on your setting/applications

Router: you could have a firewall on your router just take a look on your router setting maybe the server's port is blocked.

Windows firewall: maybe the default windows firewall is blocking the server's port

Anti-virus: some anti-virus have a firewall (some free anti-virus or the majority of the paid anti-virus) it could block the port/ip of the server/client (will depend on how you set it if you anti-virus work like eset)

Either way seems that one of tge thing i wrote is bloking the server (router/windows firewall/anti-virus's firewall)

Also: we cannot see your screenshot are you sure that you send it well?

10 hours ago, Gibier said:

Everything i will tell you on this replay will depemd on your setting/applications

Router: you could have a firewall on your router just take a look on your router setting maybe the server's port is blocked.

Windows firewall: maybe the default windows firewall is blocking the server's port

Anti-virus: some anti-virus have a firewall (some free anti-virus or the majority of the paid anti-virus) it could block the port/ip of the server/client (will depend on how you set it if you anti-virus work like eset)

Either way seems that one of tge thing i wrote is bloking the server (router/windows firewall/anti-virus's firewall)

Also: we cannot see your screenshot are you sure that you send it well?

The screenshot should be able to be seen now. Apologies on that one. but the error I'm concerned with is as I put in my post. As for the router's firewall... I can't believe I've never thought of something like that. I've had people connected to my server no problem but they say they are getting warped backwards as they move. 

Not all routers support UPnP, and from my understanding UPnP is mostly just a hack to get around port forwarding, so if UPnP fails, you could still go with Port Forwarding. As gibier was saying though, make sure your application is not being blocked by an Antivirus, Software Firewall, or Router Firewall. For help on port forwarding, here is my guide explaining the process in detail: 

1 minute ago, Misanthropic AI said:

Not all routers support UPnP, and from my understanding UPnP is mostly just a hack to get around port forwarding, so if UPnP fails, you could still go with Port Forwarding. As gibier was saying though, make sure your application is not being blocked by an Antivirus, Software Firewall, or Router Firewall. For help on port forwarding, here is my guide explaining the process in detail: 

I have port forwarded as well. But I'm currently checking out my routers firewall. I'm just asking the people on my Discord to test it out

49 minutes ago, Misanthropic AI said:

Port Forwarding IS the process of allowing applications through your router's firewall and routing ports to a designated machine. By port forwarding, you've already allowed access through the firewall. If you've already port forwarded, the fact that uPnP is failing doesn't mean that you game isn't accessible from the internet. I would test it by connecting through public IP first and if you can connect, the uPnP error is just completely irrelevant and can be ignored.

Alright if that's the case, how do I fix the players are warping back when they move? I haven't had that problem with XtremeWorlds or Eclipse before, in instances where I was on WiFi and across the house from the router. 

8 minutes ago, Extin said:

Alright if that's the case, how do I fix the players are warping back when they move? I haven't had that problem with XtremeWorlds or Eclipse before, in instances where I was on WiFi and across the house from the router. 

I feel that that's an unrelated problem, should probably get its own thread. I don't actually use intersect, i just help out with networking/general development questions where i can, so this really isn't a question for me.