Until we get source, what's the "BEST" way to do a 'Timed Server Event'?

Teppy

Question

Lets say every other hour we want a global message to say "The Swamp is now accessible!" and then it permits people into a certain zone.

SO far the only way I've explored doing is creating a Global Event set to autorun that basically has a page for each 'Between X and Y time' and cycles through them, and when they hit it says the message and flips a global switch to allow the area to be acessible.

Now this works great except for one thing -- what if no one on the map where the Global Event that autoruns is? Then it never happens.

Anyone know an alternative solution for this?

5 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Sethis said:

I needed exactly this actually and asked a while ago. Got this answer which helped a lot for the time being :

Hope it can help you too !

Thanks but sadly this solution won't work either because then it will do it for every user logged in rather than a one time thing at a specific time / occasion regardless of who / how many are online. Thinking I'll have to wait for source for this :)

4 minutes ago, Fitzgerald_III said:

I'm new around here, but could you use a Global Switch, changing it on the hour, to alternate your Swamp availability every two hours?

That's essentially what I'm doing, but to keep it going? Right now I'm using an event in an Autorun, but if there's no players on the map that event is located, it doesn't execute.