How do I make my game playable online?

xWL

Question

Well, I would like to know two ways:

1- How to use my own PC to make the game server online and other people can connect.Just as a test.

2- How to definitely leave it online 24/7. Do I have to hire a service for this? If someone could please explain to me

2 answers to this question

1. You are asking how to open your game up for the general public by port forwarding:

The way this works for Intersect is the same way it works for other applications, Minecraft is typically my go-to example. If you look up how to do this for Minecraft the instructions will be the same except the Intersect port is 5400 UDP by default instead of 25565 TCP for Minecraft.

Basically you have to work through every device in your network chain between the internet to your pc and open up network ports to allow network access to your server.

Let's say you have a modem then a router then your PC. You have to login to your modem, and see if it is acting as a firewall, and if so open the port to your router. Then you have to log into your router, see if it is acting as a firewall and if so open the port from your router to your pc. Then on your pc you have to open the port in any firewalls/antivirus softwares you may have running. This is possible with most internet service providers but it is typically not possible if you are in a location where your internet is provided for you (like a college dorm/campus.)

Because every modem/router is different I cannot provide direct answers. I can tell you that the default port/protocol of Intersect is 5400 UDP. From there you can use https://portfowarding.com or I bet ChatGPT would probably be pretty good at this to find instructions based on the hardware you have. 

Once the ports are open you need to visit https://ipchicken.com to obtain your public ip address (the ip address given to your modem by your internet service provider) you need to put that into your client's config.json file as the "host" and then you can distribute your client to others.

2. For 24/7 uptime:

You can leave your own PC on with the server running 24/7 if you'd like and host it yourself. Otherwise you can rent a virtual private server from hundreds of companies which will give you a remote pc to manage and run the server on. The easiest option would be to sign up for a hosting plan my hosting service exclusively for Intersect for those who want something simple that works where you don't have to worry about managing anything or difficult setup steps like the port forwarding above.

19 hours ago, jcsnider said:

1. Você está perguntando como abrir seu jogo para o público em geral por meio do encaminhamento de porta:

A maneira como isso funciona para o Intersect é a mesma maneira que funciona para outros aplicativos, Minecraft é tipicamente meu exemplo preferido. Se você procurar como fazer isso para Minecraft, as instruções serão as mesmas, exceto que a porta Intersect é 5400 UDP por padrão em vez de 25565 TCP para Minecraft.

Basicamente, você precisa trabalhar em todos os dispositivos da sua cadeia de rede, entre a Internet e o seu PC, e abrir portas de rede para permitir o acesso da rede ao seu servidor.

Digamos que você tenha um modem, depois um roteador e depois seu PC. Você precisa fazer login no seu modem e ver se ele está agindo como um firewall e, em caso afirmativo, abrir a porta do seu roteador. Então você tem que fazer login no seu roteador, ver se ele está agindo como um firewall e se estiver, abra a porta do seu roteador para o seu pc. Então, no seu PC, você deve abrir a porta em qualquer software de firewall/antivírus que esteja em execução. Isso é possível com a maioria dos provedores de serviços de Internet, mas normalmente não é possível se você estiver em um local onde a Internet é fornecida para você (como um dormitório/campus universitário).

Como cada modem/roteador é diferente, não posso fornecer respostas diretas. Posso dizer que a porta/protocolo padrão do Intersect é 5400 UDP. De lá, você pode usar https://portfowarding.com  ou aposto que o ChatGPT provavelmente seria muito bom nisso para encontrar instruções com base no hardware que você tem. 

Assim que as portas estiverem abertas, você precisa visitar https://ipchicken.com  para obter seu endereço IP público (o endereço IP fornecido ao seu modem pelo seu provedor de serviços de Internet). Você precisa colocá-lo no arquivo config.json do seu cliente como o "host" e então você pode distribuir seu cliente para outras pessoas.

2. Para disponibilidade 24 horas por dia, 7 dias por semana:

Você pode deixar seu próprio PC ligado com o servidor funcionando 24 horas por dia, 7 dias por semana, se desejar, e hospedá-lo você mesmo. Caso contrário, você pode alugar um servidor virtual privado de centenas de empresas que lhe fornecerão um PC remoto para gerenciar e executar o servidor. A opção mais fácil seria assinar um plano de hospedagem meu  serviço de hospedagem exclusivamente para Intersect para quem quer algo simples que funcione onde você não precisa se preocupar em gerenciar nada ou etapas difíceis de configuração como o encaminhamento de porta acima.

Okay, after that, what files or folders should I make available for download for players? Thanks!