Stationary Projectile

Seshy

Question

Hi there,

Does anybody know of a way to implement the scenario below?

Looking to keep the concept of a projectile (i.e. shoot out a spell and try hit an object, rather than a targeted attack) whilst keeping it in a stationary position but flow towards a certain direction.

I.e. like a lightning attack that extends out from the caster:

b6cdea9775eb21483b833a26ba518b6e.png

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

hello, what you want to do is not a projectile, it's basically like a skill. All you need to do is create the correct graphics file for creating the attack animation (i.e the lightning bolt) and after you will have to determine the range of efficiency.

Hi usirname, that is exactly what I'm after.

Would you mind going into detail about working backwards with the image? Also, do you match the projectile speed (for example, 1000ms), with the frames of animation (each frame 100ms x 10 frames) ?

This is my current attempt D: I have tried with manipulating whitespace in my animation, changing projectile spawn times and ranges but I can't get it right.

EDIT:

managed to get it working OK by adding space before each animation frame to "catch up" when the animation is played

hey there, yeah i will try haha im not the best at explaining things, so the projectile is moving forward at the same time the animation is cycling through the frames and extending backwards, i am sure its mostly to do with how the image is cut and the speed of the projectile also how fast the animation is, i could show the animation sheet i used for this if it would help, im on my mobile right now tho so would need to be tomorrow, your animation looks sweet man and looks like its very close to where u want it

edit: i just noticed there was another way mentioned from Artheios just above my post, i haven't tried that way but i can see how that would work too, so i am not sure what method is easier or suits you the best, i should add that i done it this way because its actually a consumable grapple hook activated from my inventory, and not a spell like your one, the one advantage of using the projectile as far as i can see is the distance of your lightning bolt could possibly travel a further distance and still carry damage outside of the standard grid, however the way that Artheios has mentioned might be a lot easier for an animation like your one, you could set it up the way Artheios has mentioned and possibly add an invisible projectile i am not sure as ive not tried it, only because your animation is more dynamic and expands in all ways, the animation i used only expands in one directions and adds pieces of rope on to the grapple hook in time with the speed of the projectile to give this effect, excuse the wall of text haha i hope some of this has helped

p.s lmk if u need the animation sheet, i got it here if it helps

Edited by usirname
more information