Walking animation pauses for seemless maps

Kaziie

Question

I noticed when walking around seemless maps that on my screen everything looks normal, but on other players screen my walking animation pauses each time I enter a different map, making it look kind of unnatural. I assume this is known but I couldn't find any posts about it. Is this something that could ever be fixed in the future?

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Kaziie said:

Well its just me using dual clients to run around and test stuff. I can record a video of it if that helps. Could it be a bug that happens when u use dual client?

https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/3e29c69cf93a279921cfbc58c73af4b3.avi

in the video u can see that each time i pass into the next map there is a weird warp that happens that breaks the smoothness. Its seems like it warps you a space foward.

So talking with the other developers, it's been there for as long as anyone can remember, but they're surprised that it's as obvious as it is in your video especially on local (your server is on the same computer as the clients, right?).

One other question -- do you happen to be using tiles that are larger than 32x32? This also occurs on the smaller tile sizes but we're wondering if it's more obvious on larger tiles. You don't have to make your tiles smaller if that's the case (since it'll happen either way) but since it's been there for so long I also can't promise that we are going to figure out a fix for it any time soon (that said it will likely be fixed eventually as I carve out and rewrite more parts of the engine, it just won't be soon because I have so much on my plate).

It would be extremely helpful if you could get another user to record a video clip of this happening, and provide the amount of ping both you and the other person had during the video.

I can't say as I know what is causing it, but the above information may help narrow down what is.

Well its just me using dual clients to run around and test stuff. I can record a video of it if that helps. Could it be a bug that happens when u use dual client?

in the video u can see that each time i pass into the next map there is a weird warp that happens that breaks the smoothness. Its seems like it warps you a space foward.

4 minutes ago, panda said:

So talking with the other developers, it's been there for as long as anyone can remember, but they're surprised that it's as obvious as it is in your video especially on local (your server is on the same computer as the clients, right?).

One other question -- do you happen to be using tiles that are larger than 32x32? This also occurs on the smaller tile sizes but we're wondering if it's more obvious on larger tiles. You don't have to make your tiles smaller if that's the case (since it'll happen either way) but since it's been there for so long I also can't promise that we are going to figure out a fix for it any time soon (that said it will likely be fixed eventually as I carve out and rewrite more parts of the engine, it just won't be soon because I have so much on my plate).

Yeah my tiles are 48x48, so thats gotta be whats making it more obvious. Alright,well thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Its not so terrible that i have to switch to non seemless maps but hopefully one day it could be fixed or at least minimized lol. Thanks panda!