Sword Sprite

LegendGaming

Question

Hello, how can I make my character, having equipped the sword, see the sword in his hands, since I created the item and it does damage but it is not seen in his hands to give a better battle appearance, it would help me to They will explain it and in the same way a tutorial would serve me

5 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Beefy Kasplant said:

Set the item type to Equipment

Choose the equipment type: helmet, armour, boots, shield, etc

Scroll down and pick the paperdoll for male and female versions

Ok I understood the first part but the paperdoll I have nothing in that box

On 6/2/2021 at 7:27 PM, LegendGaming said:

Hello, how can I make my character, having equipped the sword, see the sword in his hands, since I created the item and it does damage but it is not seen in his hands to give a better battle appearance, it would help me to They will explain it and in the same way a tutorial would serve me

So for items to appear on the character sprite they have to be 'paperdolled'
In your client resources > paperdoll folder is where you put them.

The best way to create a paperdoll is to use something like Adobe Photoshop, where you can have 'Layers'
Simply load in your character sprite sheet and then start with a new layer for actually 'drawing over' your sprite using the pixel (Pencil) tool.

See these zoomed in images as examples;
Don't mind the copyright watermark, I'm just super cautious with my graphics. Even if it just a prototype sprite at the moment :D

So here you'll see I got my sprite in the background and a 'Stick' item draw on a layer above the sprite.

642b62d3ba705fc7aac213cdb8f077e4.jpg

Once you've done the paperdoll overlay, simply remove the sprite so you're only left with the paperdoll graphic itself;

529eb435f72d045c9e2ffdd5d70ff7b6.jpg

I believe you might be able to set whether it appears under or below the sprites, but by default it appears above. So remember to 'cut out' any bits where a hand might need to be 'over' the weapon for example.

As with any image you will want to save it as a .png with no background (Transparent).

Hope this helps.

I'm also willing to help out if you need it. I do commissions but I do charge for my work. I've got over 16 years of graphic design experience.
The above simple graphics aren't a true example of my abilities, these are just prototypes I did while I make my game. Then all graphics will be revamped.

Have fun :)