Are maps always 31 x 25?

gaveitatry

Question

I filled the map with a grass texture and noticed that it was 31 tiles wide and 25 tiles tall.  I was surprised because I was expecting the map to be perfectly square.  Just out of curiosity, why 31 x 25?  Why not 32 x 32 or some other dimension?  Is there a way to change the map size and under what situations or circumstances would I need to change the map size from the initial default?

2 answers to this question

If you double click on any of the map borders you can connect to a new map and expand your world as much as you'd like.

We chose 32x26 tile map sizes (starts at 0,0) because in-game 9 maps are shown at a time to give a seamless open-world effect. This also allows users on high resolutions (up to 1920x1080) to see as much of the game as possible.

There was a fine line between loading enough so the game looked well on large resolutions and not loading so much that performance became an issue. That 32x26 size seemed optimal.  It is not perfectly square simply because the game window and pc screens are not perfectly square.

You /can/ change the size of all maps in the servers config.xml file but I highly recommend that you leave those values alone.