Doubt about sprite size.

Blinkuz

Question

I am trying to make a prototype of an mmorpg that I have been working on in unity but for external reasons I felt the need to change the engine and I came across this marvel of intersect, but when adding the sprites of my character in a size 32x32 I have noticed that it looks very small, and there my question arises, what is the recommended size for character sprites?

It is worth mentioning that the base of my character I have used for several years in different versions of my project from the BYOND engine to Unity which was the last test, the character base has about 88 sprites divided into more than 7 different states, from walking, running, attacking, idle, casting, 2 melee fighting styles and recovering energy, it would be a bit complicated for me to have to redo everything to 32x48 which is the size I could calculate from the sprites that come by default in the engine .

Another important point is that I also have clothes / paperdolls made for my base from the previous version of the game and if I had to remake the base in a new size I would have to remake the clothes as well as the sprites of houses and buildings that have the doors made for 32x32 which is what I want to avoid.

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Beast Boyz said:

Maybe i'm wrong but, if you don't want to resize everything, you have to fix and lower your screen resolution so characters won't look too small, otherwise it''s yours to appreciate the good size.

What size do you use in your game? I like the size of your characters, in my case I have tried the resolution in 800x600 in full screen and it looks more or less acceptable but it does not convince me much.

2 hours ago, Xiphoid said:

i recommended for resize sprites you can find your best. i'm using %200 VXAce format.

You're welcome @Blinkuz.

I'm going to try it but I have also used this tool: https://fmoo.itch.io/autotile-packing-tools to make a x2 scaling of my sprites and the character looks pretty good but I don't know if I should also increase the size of my tilesets since when scaling the tiles also 1 tile occupies 4 32x32 tiles and the buildings and houses look very large.

Edit: I have tried the tool they recommend and this is the result, there I am seeing it on a 1920x1080 full screen monitor.

b92f9e681fd0ef029c98910d7aa9a350.jpeg

Edited by Blinkuz

2 hours ago, Xiphoid said:

i don't use rescale tilesets. I'm using timefantasy.net graphics. I'm using this tool for only changing sprites and characters resize

I understand, I have tried scaling the sprites of the houses and buildings and it looks good but it is exaggeratedly large a large / medium building in its original size is 600x700 but when scaling x2 the size becomes 1200x1400 which makes it almost impossible to map because only part of the building occupies one of the complete maps.

59a56bba70a13dbd5137ce658175217f.png

All these screenshots are on a monitor with 1980x1080 resolution and mapping at that scale is very difficult anyway.

2e7778cd19f97abe68168053006adf95.png23110680638dbb570c08599d7e62b242.png

Thanks for your recommendations, after several experiments with my work team we have made the decision to make the map only with the character, the clothes, and the npcs scaled to 200% with the tool that you shared with me, the houses and doors are They will see a little small compared to what we had done in unity where we can manipulate the zoom of the camera and maintain the quality with the pixel perfect, because what interests us is to launch a playable pre-alpha with pvp and some basic maps so although They look a little small will not be a problem, I will be pending the post in case someone else gives another recommendation that I can experience in my project.