Limited Resources?

Argilus

Question

Let's say for example, I want a user to mine a rock to obtain gold ore, and then use this gold ore on a forge to cast a gold ingot, and use this gold ingot on a stamp to forge Gold coins, which will be used as currency.

Is there a way to make the ore limited?

For example, I want an economy that cannot hyper-inflate. So once an ore is depleted, it stays depleted.

Perhaps also something like a tree, to where the tree itself is cut down, and does not magically re-grow in a few seconds, rather an acorn it drops must be planted and a certain amount of time must pass for the tree to grow to be cut down again?

Furthermore, is it possible for shops to have limited trading capability?

For example, I have a lot of wood from the trees I cut down, and I go sell it to the shop.

The shop is interested in buying my wood, but does not have an unlimited amount of funds to just buy up an entire forest. Perhaps it only has 100 gold, and each wood piece being worth 1 gold, is only interested in buying 10 wood at that price, an additional 10 at half the price, and a maximum of 30 at 1/3rd the price.

Can this be done through events or does it require changing the source of the engine?

I'd ideally like to tie shop prices to some sort of auction, sort of like a player run "stock" market of sorts where prices are adjusted according to supply and demand.

Doable?

2 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Technically the resource items given can be done via an event and therefore limited. 

The shop quantity control would need to be done via source. 

Technically all of it should be done via source. 

Hmm... And a trading system? Is there source documentation that allows me to see where these attributes are accounted for in the code?