Sprite design issue

Markchapman

I've been using the built in sprites that come with the engine and the sprite generator, there great sprites but i have been wanting to make my own sprites (I dont want to make a game so to say me and my babies have been messing around with the engine as a quarantine project). The problem im having is 32 x 32 sprites are quite a bit larger then what im used to sprinting (8x8 and 16x16), how did you guys come up with your sprinting style? I've made a few different character sprites but they didn't really match my tilesets lol. I've done some basic pixelated characters in gamemaker and being able to change the resolution I was able to make them look decent..

Not sure what your question is really about but,

If it can help you : you can browse on deviantart pixel art for model and here's some ressources for sprites you can use as model :

https://rpgtileset.com/

https://www.deviantart.com/schwarzenacht/art/PandaMaru-MV-nature3-647358534

You can first use other sprite and just do little modifications. 

It's a good way to begin i think.

Is there a quick way of converting rpg maker sprites?

I'm thinking about not having arms in my sprites, Rayman style maybe but I don't know. This is the brute class without armor.

4cf2d6ebec4872458c2f4c271ffc9ed3.png

Does it look better with or without the outline?

The animation looks a little funky without the outline but the paper doll i think looks better without it. 

Edited by Markchapman
added my sprite in, Grammer repair.

For a quick way of converting rpg maker sprite, you need to readjust to 32x32px 4 Frame, rpgmaker sprite are 48x48  3 frame?

You can easily do that by copying the middle one frame (Wich look "static") as the 4th frame and i will be ok

Here's an exemple : 

7c2d133f6b714fe017f38d7082b85184.png

And the originals:

33d1aac254d525a875bc4784f94e0532.png

For the pixel art, well it's hard to judge, it's very small ^^"

3 hours ago, Markchapman said:

Is there a quick way of converting rpg maker sprites?

I'm thinking about not having arms in my sprites, Rayman style maybe but I don't know. This is the brute class without armor.

4cf2d6ebec4872458c2f4c271ffc9ed3.png

Does it look better with or without the outline?

The animation looks a little funky without the outline but the paper doll i think looks better without it. 

If you want to use these sprites you've made, which would look cool when done properly - I highly suggest just scaling them up to the current sprites sizes. For continuity in the sprite style I would suggest your tiles are the same small size - scaled up as well. Here is what the start of that process would look like:
b8ea627d7228968dc65b8888e0d12a01.png
Keep in mind that I have a modified version of the original sprites so it's a bit different!

Thanks for the advice, I changed that sprite a hundred times before I was happy with it and then I started some paper doll equipment and thought it may be better off without the black outline. I'm not an art guy lol..... I have pyxel though. I thought about trying to use the 32x32 size but with smaller sprites 16x16 but I wasn't sure about the collisions. Game makers collisions are pretty forgiving, 32x32 there's to much room for detail and it takes me forever to get the sprites just right. Pyxel has the dawnbringer 32 pallette built in so thats the colors I'm using.

Time fantasy is selling for 100 bucks right now on itch, I got about a month and a half im thinking about buying it. 

Here's the whole sheet >_<

66fbbcce77ecc8e4965d951d38edbe26.png

Has anyone tried hand drawn sprites? With a digital tablet? I drew this gif

424aa4cf26858d561af98735bcdfe054.gif

And used the image resizer from the downloads to get this

3105133d21ab67c5a11ab3201e181d6a.png

i don't know about scaling it down any further though but im going to block in some color and see how the details look.