Need Help Sonic Arena Remake recruitment

JonBaxter

I am looking for help with a project I've been working on during my off time for a while: a remake of the Sonic Arena 2 online RPG.

- The game -

The original game was made in the XtremeWorlds engine by the NoMoreBlue and unceremoniously closed its doors in 2012 due to unkown reasons. 8 years later, the game's original fans are still up and about, wanting to somehow re live Sonic Arena 2. This project aims to remake the original game from the ground up, following in its footsteps while straying from its more confusing design choices from the time.

The project is being worked on in the Intersect Game Engine and aims to up the visual fidelity of the original game, flesh out its original mechanics and rewrite the story in a way that new players can be introduced to the game easily.

The original

hqdefault.jpg

S.A.R.

lUIgbBJ.png

- Who we're looking for -

Currently the project is at a standstill due to dwindling free time on my end and inability to find others willing to help work with the game. As such, we are looking for people who are willing to really dive deep into the project to help flesh it out with art assets (tiles, sprites, maps), music, story drafts and experience / level progression. An informal design document is currently being worked on as an outline for devs to get a feel for what the game should shape up to become over time.

We are specifically looking for:

--mappers

--sprite artists

--writers

- Will I get paid? -

Unfortunately, no. I do not have the funds to properly hire professional developers for this project. The most I can offer is my unwavering faith in you and a (purely virtual) hand shake.

- Current progress -
As of the time of writing, the game is still in its initial development stages. Area progression is being planned, enemies and level balancing is being experimented with, art assets are being drawn and mechanics being thought out. It's very much a machine with several cogs attached but only a single, disconnected, spinning one. This has been a pet project of mine for a long time and as much as I like to entertain the idea of finishing this all on my own with my two hands, this will clearly be a project which requires the effort of multiple individuals to come to fruition.

QeCD7q5.jpg

- What about you? -

I will keep working on the game regardless of how many developers decide to join the project. I've been the only one making sprites but not tiles, importing assets, designing maps, balancing enemies and creating equipment so far, and I don't plan on stopping. Most of my time is dedicated to creating character sprites and mapping out areas with a woefully limited RPG Maker tileset.

3YU2Z6O.png

- Can I help? -

In order to apply to help with the game, either message me on Discord at Jon#2538 or leave a reply below with:

--your skills

--development area of interest

--availability [IMPORTANT]

--any prior experience as a dev, if applicable

Your application will be reviewed and I will send you a private message here in the forums confirming or denying your application.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Hey if you're still working on this I would love to help. I played this game back in the day and have a little knowledge of the game. Though it has been a while. 

My skills are in web development. I'm a pretty mediocre programmer. I've dabbled very little in Unity. 

My availability is pretty open thursdays - sundays. I'm currently interning only three days a week but that may change.

I don't know if I'd really ever consider myself a dev. I played a lot of these fan made mmos back in the day and currently have SMO another one on my computer with the server and everything and have had experience making maps with these types of games. I've also dabbled in RPG maker MV. I'm not sure if that counts though as dev work lol.

Feel free to email me at gamerjinks@gmail.com. I'm not sure if I'll remember to check this very often but I'll try to check that email every day to see if you reply. 

Really cool to see someone else who misses this game and is willing to bring it back and I would love to help make the progress faster in any way I can.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, Peonicle said:

Hey if you're still working on this I would love to help. I played this game back in the day and have a little knowledge of the game. Though it has been a while. 

My skills are in web development. I'm a pretty mediocre programmer. I've dabbled very little in Unity. 

My availability is pretty open thursdays - sundays. I'm currently interning only three days a week but that may change.

I don't know if I'd really ever consider myself a dev. I played a lot of these fan made mmos back in the day and currently have SMO another one on my computer with the server and everything and have had experience making maps with these types of games. I've also dabbled in RPG maker MV. I'm not sure if that counts though as dev work lol.

Feel free to email me at gamerjinks@gmail.com. I'm not sure if I'll remember to check this very often but I'll try to check that email every day to see if you reply. 

Really cool to see someone else who misses this game and is willing to bring it back and I would love to help make the progress faster in any way I can.

Heyo, I've sent you an e-mail with my contact info so we can talk about the game. Somehow you weren't the only one who showed interest in this project, as another person added me on discord just a few days after your message!

• 10 months later...

I am no longer looking for others willing to help with this project, as there is simply not enough interest to keep moving it forward. Those who wish to download its files and play around with it may do so from the link below. If you want to keep the project going by all means go ahead. All I ask is that you credit me for the work that is already in place, should you use it as a base.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDZosRfyrJv0wv5A24cWQK2fGhIZhwuM/view