Game upgrades via Paypal

starlord

Question

Hello, 

Wonder if it would be possible to collect payment from a player on our game website using paypal and have paypal send players a random confirmation key that the player would have to type in the game for the upgrade.  How much would this service cost?  Also would it be possible to sell subscription using paypal this way too?

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

It wouldn't directly. 

You'd have to write your own Web portal that acts as an intermediary, or get someone to do it for you. 

The portal would track which user makes the payment and whether its successful, then triggers the games API. 

Why not use the API instead for granting unlocks to a character? That would basically expose most things I would imagine, from the inventory to the event system. 

Wouldn't really be a source mod though and mostly just a web portal that interacts with the server. 

In theory this is all possible. But I doubt you'll get someone to make you a monetization system for free, that'd be most ironic. 

2 minutes ago, Joyce said:

Why not use the API instead for granting unlocks to a character? That would basically expose most things I would imagine, from the inventory to the event system. 

Wouldn't really be a source mod though and mostly just a web portal that interacts with the server. 

That sounds great, but how would that work in theory using Paypal?
How would the API from the game interact with Paypal's API?

9 minutes ago, Joyce said:

It wouldn't directly. 

You'd have to write your own Web portal that acts as an intermediary, or get someone to do it for you. 

The portal would track which user makes the payment and whether its successful, then triggers the games API. 

Thank you for the reply, I will try to work on this on my own but don't have enough time on my hands if anyone is interested in helping me I will gladly pay and your welcome to share the source publicly.