Hurt & Death animations

rpgscroll

Question

5 answers to this question

Death animations would require them to actually leave a corpse which currently does not happen, unless you set the game to trigger an "animation" (such as a spell one) upon entity death that's their death animation. 

As for getting hit, that sounds like it'd clip into other actions such as attacking, moving etc. Which might look incredibly awkward. Unless you lock them into place for the duration but that would probably cause its own level of jank. 

On 4/10/2020 at 1:04 AM, Joyce said:

As for getting hit, that sounds like it'd clip into other actions such as attacking, moving etc. Which might look incredibly awkward. Unless you lock them into place for the duration but that would probably cause its own level of jank.

Graal Online has an "onhit" animation. The player gets knocked back a smidge, a specific sprite is shown, the sprite blinks, their controls are locked and they are invulnerable for the duration.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:47 AM, rpgscroll said:

I think it would be nice to have hurt and death animations for the enemies / monsters.

Players with higher speed will benefit more from a hurt animation as they have more time, so to speak, to move into position to continue attacking in a manner that puts their opponent at a disadvantage. In my opinion, a moderate knockback and a shorter freeze/invuln period would be ideal, if you plan to go that route. Players will find a way to exploit this in PvP.

17 hours ago, Asatani said:

Graal Online has an "onhit" animation. The player gets knocked back a smidge, a specific sprite is shown, the sprite blinks, their controls are locked and they are invulnerable for the duration.

Players with higher speed will benefit more from a hurt animation as they have more time, so to speak, to move into position to continue attacking in a manner that puts their opponent at a disadvantage. In my opinion, a moderate knockback and a shorter freeze/invuln period would be ideal, if you plan to go that route. Players will find a way to exploit this in PvP.

Even if I'm talking about the platformer edition? Would it be the same? :o

10 hours ago, rpgscroll said:

Even if I'm talking about the platformer edition? Would it be the same? :o

In a PvP (or friendly fire) multiplayer setting, yes. In a multiplayer non-PvP or single-player setting, no. In the case of the latter, there really isn't a means to exploit other players, so there would be no real issue other than the time it takes for the animation to complete. Another thing to consider is how hurt or "onhit" animations will affect the flow of combat, or the game in general. No matter how short the animation is it takes time and that affects how the game "feels." That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing, but it is something to keep in mind. These points are true with regards to player hurt animations as well as for NPCs.

Death animations won't really hinder much, so I think those would be fine, if you or someone else can figure out how to get them into the engine.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:32 AM, Asatani said:

In a PvP (or friendly fire) multiplayer setting, yes. In a multiplayer non-PvP or single-player setting, no. In the case of the latter, there really isn't a means to exploit other players, so there would be no real issue other than the time it takes for the animation to complete. Another thing to consider is how hurt or "onhit" animations will affect the flow of combat, or the game in general. No matter how short the animation is it takes time and that affects how the game "feels." That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing, but it is something to keep in mind. These points are true with regards to player hurt animations as well as for NPCs.

Death animations won't really hinder much, so I think those would be fine, if you or someone else can figure out how to get them into the engine.

Thanks! that's very clear!