My Emulation/arcade project

Gwendalin

I'll post some pics of my arcade coffee table i built in a little bit as well.

I actually have some of the greyed out systems, i just don't know how to get them to show up yet.

I also have a few other systems that i have not installed yet, so my list is actually a little larger than this.

Bask in the glory of my emulation!!!

emu7_zpsmhs58v0q.png

emu1_zpsqcvur9ce.png

emu2_zpsfthlg0vh.png

emu3_zps2qwhf6to.png

emu4_zps4ygao4dw.png

emu5_zpsj7tipzfv.png

emu6_zpsbdl7h8hy.png

Here we GOOOOO!!!!!

As you'll see my kitty was very interested and wanted to help!

Here was my prototype controller i built a long time ago.

IMG_1406_zpsgz7n1xxk.jpg

Here is the inside... I hacked a keyboard to use as my encoder... it was pretty fun mapping out all the connections to see what button was being pressed. Unfortunately it did not work to well because if you press too many buttons at once you get ghosting. Since some of the keys share the same inputs, if you press keys that overlap you'll get a different key pressed as well. I had to try to space as many buttons apart as possible. Fun project though!

IMG_1407_zpswpnziv2o.jpg

Here are some of the tools i used

IMG_1404_zps0gxpeh6r.jpg

My button template made out of cardboard

IMG_1405_zpsccrji3z4.jpg

My nifty hole drill

IMG_1408_zps2tgnweib.jpg

I went to Ikea, and bought a cheap $30 coffee table, and hollowed it out. it really was cheap... it was thin fake wood with a bee hive shape cardboard structure to make it firm

IMG_1403_zpsemacpddr.jpg

I cut out space for the buttons and joystick. i had to glue a thicker piece of plywood to the table to mount the joystick to so it had more support, and so the screws would not poke through the table.

IMG_1409_zps5kjmxjiy.jpg

Added my player 1 and player 2, and coin buttons and cut out some more stuff.

IMG_1410_zpsgtw9hsxx.jpg

Started wiring things to my new encoder made specifically for arcade emulation

IMG_1411_zpspybjjwoq.jpg

Added a back board to mount my monitor to.

IMG_1412_zpsyc2sunxs.jpg

player 1, 2 and coin buttons

IMG_1414_zpsrhrbbayj.jpg

Added a trackball

IMG_1505_zpsujh6lkdy.jpg

Cut apart an old PC tower and mounted it to the underneath of the table with the power supply and a drive tower to hold the drives. Also mounted the monitor.

IMG_1506_zpsud0omwjw.jpg

Drive tower

IMG_1507_zpsssb5kwmt.jpg

Another look... table is standing on it's side.

IMG_1508_zpskhewxefd.jpg

Trackball unlit.

IMG_1509_zpsiz0h53wg.jpg

Trackball lit. I'm using a flashlight as i dont have the leds for it yet.

IMG_1510_zps55efi2hq.jpg

Buttons lit. I have different types of buttons because the solid colored ones are from my old prototype before they had light up buttons. The buttons will eventually light up and let you know which ones to use. They can also change color.

IMG_1511_zpsg4c3pzns.jpg

Close up of lit button, compared to unlit

IMG_1512_zpsr2gnbjxa.jpg

Here is the system up and running showing MAME

IMG_1513_zpshlj0dhqe.jpg

Zoomed out shot

IMG_1514_zpskd5lg18o.jpg

It's been an ongoing saga trying to get everything set up but it is fun.

I did learn that you can only remove so much stuff from the table, and the little bee hive stuff actually supports the table pretty well. Where my player 1 and 2 buttons are, a LOT of the bee hive stuff was removed to make room for the buttons and stuff, and after leaning on that area of the table, it eventually cracked, and now the front of the table is broken. The buttons should be placed in a different spot. I was also going to put plexi glass on the top and use it as an actual coffee table, but i decided to have this be an experiment and not spend the money. Good thing since it broke. I also learned that viewing LCD screens that are laying down is not the best. I had to flip the monitor upside down... for some reason you can see a monitor laying flat upside down better, but it is still hare to see sometimes... you have to be looking straight down at it. It's a little short to sit around and it starts hurting your back being scrunched over trying to see the screen.

Now i plan on building an upright hybrid, and connect to my 55' tv for the monitor, but that will take time and money which i dont have right now. I also plan on building a virtual Pinball machine!!!! those look fun to build.

This is kind of what i have planned for my new build.

1001483249_3_644x461_arcade-stand-gaming-consoles_rev004.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my project! ^.^