URGENT: Potential database corruptions.

Lyim

Question

Hello all,

I made a post about this a few weeks ago and I thought I had reached a solution, however it seems I was wrong.

I thought it was an error in the servers.json files but that appears to not be the case, it is a problem with the playerdata.db files. Let me explain, this happened randomly when I decided to shut my server down and restart it. I always exit my server with the "exit" command and I never force close my server with task manager or by just clicking the X, and when doing this it usually closes just fine however this time it got stuck on "Server is now closing. Please wait while your game and player data is saved!" so I let it sit for 20 minutes and nothing happend so I had to force close it.

Now every time I do boot the server up, this problem happens when players do things in game. Such as quest progress, making new char's and acc's, etc, etc. However if I boot the server and do nothing and then close the server, it closes just fine because there is no new data to save. I use a Windows VPS and it has all the read and write permissions it needs. When having this problem I just downloaded a fresh install of Intersect because I was not too far in development and didn't mind restarting, however I now have so much work put into the server, I can't just restart. So I made a backup of playerdata.db and deleted it, and the server is up and working as it was. No error upon exiting or anything, I have tried 3 different versions of intersect. Currently on 0.6.0.145 but was originally on 0.6.0.0 and this happened on all 3 different versions. So at some point my playerdata.db must have been corrupted or not saved properly, and I have absolutley no clue how it happened. Of course looking into the file does not help me at all as it looks to have been encrypted or something. 

As of right now this solution will work because I am in pre-alpha and only play testers are online and they can expect these kind of things to happen. However once I get a live version running with players online, this can't be my solution unless I make a backup every 1 hour. Which also won't work as I can't log-into my VPS every hour to do this. I need to know why this happens and what to do in-case it does.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE: This doesn't appear to just be a problem regarding my server, I have a friend who is running into the same issues with her server running from home.

UPDATE 2: Follow-up here.

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Luckily the engine is in beta and we have time to work these sorts of issues out...

It sounds like it is the same issue or related to this:

https://tracker.freemmorpgmaker.com/jcsnider/Intersect-Engine/issues/94

We will post updates there as we progress on this issue.

Much appreciated, any current fixes to these broken database files? They are unusable in this state, as I said I am in pre-alpha so my testers can expect these errors so its not a huge deal.

1 minute ago, jcsnider said:

You can send them to me, and I will check them out, but I won't be at my development machine again until after Jan 7, and even then I'll have a mountain of irl work to catch up on. 

Gotcha, well don't worry about it for now. I'll send you a database file the moment this happens again.