Exiting my Server Window Saves Nothing

Lyim

Question

Hello all,

I've had my server running for a couple hours and over time things started getting a bit slower, so I restarted my server to see if that would fix the problem and it did, however when I go to log in everything was reset to how it was when I initially started the server, so all new players accounts was undone, quest progress was undone and more. I noticed that when I shut the server down with the exit command it was frozen on the "Server is now closing. Please wait while your game and player data is saved!" part. Am I just supposed to let this finish or something, because it is taking a very long time. At the time of writing this I have waited 5 minutes.

My game is still in an "Alpha" state so my testers are aware things like this can happen, but imagine this happening to someone who has their game out live.

If you have had this experience before please let me know how I can fix it.

14 answers to this question

SOLUTION:

If you are having issues with your server saving data, check all of your server's .JSON files to make sure that you have no errors in your spelling. Compare your .JSON files with fresh files from https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/files/file/3-intersect-engine/ to see if you can spot any typos. In general be very cautious when editing Server .JSON's

Only time I've seen the server completely fail to save is when it has been running on Linux and literally didn't have write permissions to the Server/resources directory.

If that is not the problem then antivirus programs could be getting into the way, especially anything with sandboxing capabilities...

On 12/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, jcsnider said:

Only time I've seen the server completely fail to save is when it has been running on Linux and literally didn't have write permissions to the Server/resources directory.

If that is not the problem then antivirus programs could be getting into the way, especially anything with sandboxing capabilities...

Im running on a Windows VPS and it does have write permissions to the resources directory.

I'll check in with the host to look into the antivirus, but what do you mean by sandboxing capabilities?

5 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Before getting into the /rare/ possibility you have an app/antivirus that maybe sandboxing try going back to 0.6.0.138 and seeing if that helps at all.

The only anti-virus I found was Windows Defender and I have now disabled it. Also, what do you mean by "0.6.0.138" is that a intersect version? If so would you happen to have a link to it? And will it work with the latest version client?

Automated builds are posted here:

https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/topic/4231-stable-builds/?do=findComment&comment=40525

The latest is 0.6.0.145.

If you're already on a 0.6.0.X version (which would show at the top of your server window) all you need to do is download the 0.6.0.138 patch archive and replace your server, client, and editor files from within.

37 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Automated builds are posted here:

https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/topic/4231-stable-builds/?do=findComment&comment=40525

The latest is 0.6.0.145.

If you're already on a 0.6.0.X version (which would show at the top of your server window) all you need to do is download the 0.6.0.138 patch archive and replace your server, client, and editor files from within.

Do I just need to replace the .exe and .pdb?

10 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

If you're already on a 0.6.0.X version (which would show at the top of your server window)

Looks like that didn't work either however everything is functioning as usual.

Its just that no player data gets saved.

6 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

If you run the server off your own computer does it save correctly?

Nope, does not work either.

I could upload my server files and send you a link if you'd like to take a look?B

Interesting update, if I use brand new server files to run the server, make an account and log in. Then make a character, move around and then shut the server down. All of my players info saves fine.