Thoughts on different engines....

Slayer

Basically I'm wanting to discuss different engines people have tried and how they felt about their experience with them.

After having tried Unity and Ummorpg 2d, I realized how you really need to be able to work with code. They're amazing tools just not as beginner friendly as a needed. It's more of the same from what I gather from the similar assets on the store, namingly Suriyun MMORPG.

Ummorpg has nice built in features and there is a community with add-ons, however even those add-ons require you to do documented changes to the source. I found myself wanting to understand what I was doing to the code and wondering why Ummorpg required those changes be made to allow the add-on Dev to implement the purpose of the add-on. As a non programmer I felt lost in this aspect, the complexity of the Unity editor added to this.

So now I'm trying GODOT.... So far I find GDscript easy to follow and the editor to be a lot less overwhelming. This comes with the hidden benefit of not having a shiney game maker type asset, helping push me to learn to code stuff myself.

As someone who uses UMMORPG 2D, I feel like it is better for people who already know how to program. If you do not and have no interest in learning then intersect is probably a much better choice. Unity is the same way, its not meant to be a no coding solution. There is some drag and drop scripting languages that can help but its going to be tough and your going to have to learn a lot.

But thats game development for you, you will have to evolve. Nothing will ever be 100% done for you.

13 hours ago, TheNuclearWolf said:

A good starter engine thats capable of making an MMORPG while still being easy would be Game Maker 8 or studio.

I messed around with the visual scripting in GM back in the day. I didn't too much care for it then but I'm sure it's evolved tons.

7 hours ago, Mighty Professional said:

As someone who uses UMMORPG 2D, I feel like it is better for people who already know how to program. If you do not and have no interest in learning then intersect is probably a much better choice. Unity is the same way, its not meant to be a no coding solution. There is some drag and drop scripting languages that can help but its going to be tough and your going to have to learn a lot.

But thats game development for you, you will have to evolve. Nothing will ever be 100% done for you.

To me Intersect feels too 'hard coded' for my wants. It is wonderful as you said a 'no-coding' solution. Unity is an overwhelming beast for a complete new dev in my opinion. Also overkill for most beginner projects. 

For me I feel Godot is going to be my sweet spot. I like using the enjoyment of game dev to fuel the learning of coding. I had experimented with simple 'hello world' stuff in several languages a few years back due to interest in programming. I could understand python more easily than others, yet disliked that it wasn't visually rewarding immediately. Godot fills that niche for me, already I now understand scene structure better than Unity could provide me. In a sense I feel like I'm now building what I would want in a game asset in Unity, If that makes sense lol.