Hamachi for Development w/ Others

Lyim

Question

Hello!

I was wondering how I would go about setting my client to connect to the server via Hamachi, I know Hamachi is terrible for hosting an MMO, but I would like to use it w/ friends so we can experiment with the engine together.  

(Sorry for 2 Q's in one day, I've snooped around at other posts but couldn't find anything)

8 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Mapyo said:

Hello!

I was wondering how I would go about setting my client to connect to the server via Hamachi, I know Hamachi is terrible for hosting an MMO, but I would like to use it w/ friends so we can experiment with the engine together.  

(Sorry for 2 Q's in one day, I've snooped around at other posts but couldn't find anything)

Honestly a shared dropbox client with your Engine&Editor folder would, in my opinion, be a faster and less hassle free way to collaborate.

As for Hamachi, it should be a pretty straight forward setup, Run your Hamachi server, Copy the public IP, change the <HOST> in your client resource folder to your public Hamachi IP and send the Client folder to your pals and bam, you & and your friends should be able to connect. Though i'm not sure about the port when using Hamachi so that might be something you need to play with I.E open the default Intersect port 4500 on the system that you are running the server from.

15 minutes ago, HRA said:

Honestly a shared dropbox client with your Engine&Editor folder would, in my opinion, be a faster and less hassle free way to collaborate.

As for Hamachi, it should be a pretty straight forward setup, Run your Hamachi server, Copy the public IP, change the <HOST> in your client resource folder to your public Hamachi IP and send the Client folder to your pals and bam, you & and your friends should be able to connect. Though i'm not sure about the port when using Hamachi so that might be something you need to play with I.E open the default Intersect port 4500 on the system that you are running the server from.

Bingo!

@Mapyo You can run the Intersect server for as long as you want but the stability of the connection is based on the hardware & bandwidth you are running the server on.

I mentioned dropbox since it's a "decent" way to develop with friends, allowing them to use the Editor as well as upload new tilesets, spritesheets etc and having it update for everyone on that shared folder. As for having people connect to your server, dropbox has no part in that at all.

@ Latest comment, the default port I believe is 4500.

I don't understand why people still use hamachi for this stuff. Port Forwarding is relatively easy and there are guides for it everywhere.

Just now, HRA said:

I mentioned dropbox since it's a "decent" way to develop with friends, allowing them to use the Editor as well as upload new tilesets, spritesheets etc and having it update for everyone on that shared folder. As for having people connect to your server, dropbox has no part in that at all.

Dropbox is NOT a "decent" way to develop with friends. I recommend learning git or some sort of subversion management. Look into github if you've never used it before.

Just now, JimmyJumpdrive said:

I don't understand why people still use hamachi for this stuff. Port Forwarding is relatively easy and there are guides for it everywhere.

Dropbox is NOT a "decent" way to develop with friends. I recommend learning git or some sort of subversion management. Look into github if you've never used it before.

@JimmyJumpdrive For someone who is unable to setup a Hamachi server, dropbox is more than decent...

5 minutes ago, HRA said:

@JimmyJumpdrive For someone who is unable to setup a Hamachi server, dropbox is more than decent...

No it's not, if he's a beginner, put him on the right track. Don't just tell him to go with some garbage app like dropbox used for cloud storage to manage his codebase and resources.

@Mapyo if you want to work with your friends, the proper way to manage codebases and resources for projects is to use a subversions system. It allows developers to merge code files and resources files without anything being truly permanently destructive. For example, if you were to submit changes to code that your friend doesn't have, and your friend is submitting changes he made to the same codebase, you're gonna run into problems, and without a proper way of managing those problems, your entire project could get jacked up. https://github.com is a great way to manage repositories. and you're gonna want to research more into https://git-scm.com/downloads this application. There are plenty of free videos and tutorials out there to explain how git works. 

Now if you're looking for a way simply to share your client with friends, add your proejct to a zip archive and either use something like dropbox to share it with them or send it to them directly through skype, discord, email or literally anything that supports the sending of compressed zip archives.