Cross-platform?

lurv

Question

I'd like to port my game to iOS, how easy would that be and how would a client running on iOS grab data from a server running on a Windows machine?

Would cross-platform work so iOS and Windows players could play on the same server?

2 answers to this question

We are investigating the possibility and there isn't much we can answer at the moment.

Here is what we can say:

1. It will likely be possible.

2. It will not be possible for at least 6 months, probably much longer.

3. iOS client will connect to your windows server. iOS clients could probably play with Windows clients. Windows clients would have a huge advantage over iOS clients making separate servers for the various platforms preferable.

1 hour ago, jcsnider said:

We are investigating the possibility and there isn't much we can answer at the moment.

Here is what we can say:

1. It will likely be possible.

2. It will not be possible for at least 6 months, probably much longer.

3. iOS client will connect to your windows server. iOS clients could probably play with Windows clients. Windows clients would have a huge advantage over iOS clients making separate servers for the various platforms preferable.

Nice. Also, considering the fact that I'm going to balance the gameplay around clicking/tapping, PC clients having a *big* advantage would be pretty unlikely, at least in combat.

I'm going to be jacking the same pathfinding NPCs use for click-to-walk as well as attacking, interacting with events and picking items up so iOS players don't have to deal with that awkward touch-gamepad shit. And the biggest reason probably for not splitting the servers would be the fact that the playerbase wouldn't be very big which would mean that it would be best to have one server for as many platforms maintainable as possible.