General Using tiles instead of tile sheets.

Recoil

I'm wanting to get a general idea of what it would take to convert from using full tilesheets to single tiles.  I figure something like this would allow for organization of the tiles, instead of several dozen sheets with some having the same tiles on them.

This is probably not going to happen, but I am exploring all of my option before moving on.

Alright so really you would start out by taking a tilesheet and splitting it into equal squares (probabaly 32x32 pixel components). This can be done with .Net or even my multi-purpose graphic splitter. Then you would save the files based off of their index in each sheet.

59883732824323.png

In this example, you would save the top left tile as 0. The tile to the right 1, the tile to the right of that would be 2, and so on.

Then in your engine you would have to come up with a logical way to group these tiles or else it would just be a cluster of random tiles in your map editor.

I don't see a ton of performance benefit from doing this. If you don't like the duplicate tiles I would recommend fixing your graphics instead of trying to repair them in code.

I already had a general idea of how to rip individual tiles out, but I am referring to the conversion inside of the engine itself.  Right now it is drawing the (x/y) location of (i) tilesheet onto a map coordinate per layer (i).  This is moderately confusing just looking at, let alone trying to see if converting would be a worthwhile, and popular choice.

We do have some other ideas as far as editing and grouping tile types onto sheets, but I was looking at this as maybe an alternative.

That is what I figured.  I think we are probably just going to organize them into single type sheets...like the first couple be for grasses.  We are going to space them by a tile so they don't look so crowded and see how that works.  It would be easier to look at 2 tile sheets of images to see if there are any duplicates than to have to search all of them.