DLC?

Spudnik Studios

Question

7 answers to this question

Not currently, or by default. Though you could restrict people with the event system or add something similar yourself in the future.

I would highly suggest not leaving it on the client-side though, as people can just create these files themselves or copy them to other people. It should be an unlock at the account level on the server.

Do what? Adding the feature yourself or using the event system? Neither are currently fully possible as they'd require custom code to be written for your game to handle the payment portion and setting the right variables, but you could basically have events that teleport the player to a new area, but only if a specific variable or switch is set to the right value. (e.g. only if OwnsDLC1 equals True the Captain will sail you to the new island)

As I said though, there's currently no way to process payments or set these variables from outside sources. So you'd have to wait for the engine to go open source and then add this in yourself. How you'd implement this is up to you and your requirements.

Premium systems are something I am against in the base code but you will likely see a lot of source tutorials for something like this once the source is actually released.

DLC for online games does not work like single player.  You don't want person X getting into restricted sections for free because person Y bought the dlc file and just send it to him. Instead you'd set up a switch or variable for players like Chronos said. In theory this could be done now as long as your payment processing system could edit the character_switches table in the Sqlite database.

7 hours ago, jcsnider said:

-SNIP- Instead you'd set up a switch or variable for players like Chronos said. In theory this could be done now as long as your payment processing system could edit the character_switches table in the Sqlite database.

And here I figured you'd mucked with those in a weird format as well, guess I was wrong there.  :P