General I've never used open source software before and I have a quick question

Haath

Ok so basically what I want to know is, let's say that when Intersect goes open source I clone it and make a bunch of changes. When Intersect gets updated is it possible for me to get the update while also keeping the changes that I have made on my end? If so how do conflicts get resolved in that case? Does it only depend on how smart and modular the code I've added is?

I don't need some big explanation on how git works in general, just this piece of information if possible :)

Thanks in advance!

Yeah so basically you will be able to hit a button to make a copy of Intersect in your own github account/workspace. You can then make changes.

When I make changes to the main Intersect project you can pull those changes into your own workspace whenever you'd like.

In the event of there being conflicts (both of us editing the same code) GitHub will tell you, and will add both your version and ours to the file. You can then open the file with a text editor and choose which version you want, or manually merge the two based on what you need.

That is a really basic way of describing it. Merge conflicts can be tricky but we can help you work through them when they show up.

What your asking is a question about subversion management and git repositories. I recommend looking up what a git merge is and what method conflicts are. You'll learn a lot about subversions

Probably but at that point you are already going beyond my Git knowledge. Tons of guides/tutorials available to get you started though.

(and PS Git goes both ways.. if you make a change you want us to have you can send that change to us via Git (it's called a pull request) -- we can then evaluate your contribution and choose whether or not to add that to Intersect or not :) )