Art Zet's GFX [Going Retro!]

Zetasis

I have been working on some graphics for a while now and I have decided to go with a retro style. I have been told by friends that it would look better over all(compared to the original) and after testing/tweaking some things I agree with them. Here is a little preview of what I have got done so far.

adedeb1def52ed6943be32d315d98bb8.png

I remade the cliff tiles and touched up a few things here and there. The sprite and the big tree with leafs were made by Dash(special thanks!). One of these days I may actually get around to making a game with these tiles. It seems I tend to get caught up exploring/making new tiles.

Hey Zetasis.Β  Getting better all the time. I recommend looking into the "hue shifting" method for deciding on shadows and highlights. I think it would take your pixel art to the next level. For reference this tutorial has everything you'd want to know, with the last portion discussing color ramps and hues:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

@Murdoc, thanks for the link to the tut. It will greatly help me. I'm sure you noticed but one of the things I struggle with most is making a decent palette.

@Irokaiser and Agoraphobic, thanks for the nice comments guys. It really helps with the motivation!

• 2 weeks later...

@Murdoc, thanks for the link to the tut. It will greatly help me. I'm sure you noticed but one of the things I struggle with most is making a decent palette.

No prob. :) Choosing a palette is definately one of the biggest challenges. A few years ago I noticed many older console games used strange color combinations and originally I thought this was done merely because of color restrictions in 8bit & 16bit. Well, it turns out that's partly true but it also makes for nice art as well. This tree for example, you can see that the shadows are purple, the leaves are different greens and the highlights are yellow: (Personally I use a similiar strategy for grass/leaves, but replace purple with blue-green)

18.gif