Beam Animation System

Oneoxus

Hey guys, i'd like to know if it's possible and how to create a beam system with the projectiles tool . Imagine the Kamehameha from DBZ for example. 

Yes - this is possible.

The trick I had used was the following:

1. Create an animation of the beam extending, see below example image. Notice the large whitespace of the bottom half of the image, this is because the character will be in the center of the image when the animation is played and we want the beam projecting from the character, not from behind him.

db3f3cac50270856cf7d97c07f183a98.png

2. Create the spell for Kamehameha. The spell must be an event and the event does the following.

2.1. Sets the player variable "In Cast" to True (we need to make sure if the player tries any other action, it is denied. The "In Cast" variable will change to False when finished).

2.2. Hold the player still (we don't want the player moving when the Kamehameha beam animation is playing).

2.3 Set the player sprite to be the image of Goku with his hands out (essentially holding the Kamehameha).

2.4 Play the beam animation

2.5 Set a wait timer until the animation is complete

2.6 Set the sprite back to normal Goku

2.7 Release the player

2.8 Set In Cast to False so that any other action that checks if the In Cast is False will now be successful

499ce0212028f8bbae31a175ff9855fa.png

3. Create the projectile for Kamehameha. The projectile is independent of animation. The projectile will have no image. In my example, I made 5 projectiles all invisible but you can see when they hit in the video example.

any questions let me know

That above is an option, or you could set the projectile speed really fast and have a beam sprite that looks good, or you could hard code something into the engine

1 hour ago, Vio said:

That above is an option, or you could set the projectile speed really fast and have a beam sprite that looks good, or you could hard code something into the engine

But the last suggestion couldn't be good since he's asking to doing it in the projectile editor ^^