Warp points

Helen1701

Question

Okay, I'm struggling to get warp points right. Basically, my world is going to be many different maps. Of course there will be a large and expansive overworld, but I need the player to be able to enter and leave buildings. At the moment, the character can go inside my house, but once in cannot leave. I tried setting up a corresponding warp point where the front door is meant to be, but it isn't working. I put the warp point down, input 'overworld 0,0' (that is what I named my starting map because I might as well name overworld maps according to where they are on the grid) into the map I want to warp to box, along with where I want the player to be when coming out of the house... and... nothing happens. All that does happen is that I recheck the warp coordinates for the original warp point I placed outside at the front door, and it is changed to the same coordinates as I placed the warp point on the indoor map! I don't understand what I am doing wrong, because going from outside to inside doesn't seem to be an issue (except the player spawning in a spot it isn't supposed to).

I will need to nail this and get it right, because I am going to be using a lot of unconnected maps (for houses, caves, dungeons, castles, other dimensions, maybe even another planet...etc) I need these because things are going to be inside the houses that the player needs, mostly items and information from sprites.

Has anyone else had similar difficulty with this? I'm just very confused. Is there a tutorial anywhere?

4 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Helen1701 said:

Okay, I'm struggling to get warp points right. Basically, my world is going to be many different maps. Of course there will be a large and expansive overworld, but I need the player to be able to enter and leave buildings. At the moment, the character can go inside my house, but once in cannot leave. I tried setting up a corresponding warp point where the front door is meant to be, but it isn't working. I put the warp point down, input 'overworld 0,0' (that is what I named my starting map because I might as well name overworld maps according to where they are on the grid) into the map I want to warp to box, along with where I want the player to be when coming out of the house... and... nothing happens. All that does happen is that I recheck the warp coordinates for the original warp point I placed outside at the front door, and it is changed to the same coordinates as I placed the warp point on the indoor map! I don't understand what I am doing wrong, because going from outside to inside doesn't seem to be an issue (except the player spawning in a spot it isn't supposed to).

I will need to nail this and get it right, because I am going to be using a lot of unconnected maps (for houses, caves, dungeons, castles, other dimensions, maybe even another planet...etc) I need these because things are going to be inside the houses that the player needs, mostly items and information from sprites.

Has anyone else had similar difficulty with this? I'm just very confused. Is there a tutorial anywhere?

you can do warp to unconnected maps. Just select your warp tile on editor.

Yes! I specify which map I want to warp to, and to which coordinates. Then on the indoor map, I do the exact same thing. I don't get what I am doing wrong.

Update: I've got it working now, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was putting the warp point destination at the same point as the other warp point, essentially causing my character to be unable to go anywhere. So, from inside my house, I put the destination to two tiles below the warp point which is set to let you enter the house. On the same token, I've put the destination from the outside warp point to two blocks above the warp point that leads outside. It only just occurred to me that what I was doing couldn't possibly work, because it feeds and endless loop into the system of where I ought to be, so my character goes nowhere and gets trapped indoors. I should probably have realized that this was going to be the outcome!

Edited by Helen1701
Now resolved