Adressing Power Leveling ?

Beast Boyz

Question

Before starting a github topic i wanted to know what are you using to adress the problem of player capable of power leveling in party with the xp Share issue or if there are things built in the engine that adress it and i did not see.

I will list the problems/Solutions i have with this, feel free to add your own problems of offer solutions.

Problem Stating : 

- I want player to be free to party with their friend without having to be bothered by levels restricted access and have fun with them no matter their level. For that, my scaling (Level 1 to 100) is made so the players feel useful even when they are low levels. However, as monster give more xp when they are higher level and as i have a 15% XP increase per level,  A high level player can PL a low level way too rapidly.

Solution

- Make a restriction so a player cannot get more than 1% Xp needed for his level for one "normal" monster (Configurable with a "Label" Type Monster, ex Normal = 1%, Elite = 3%, Boss 10%, World boss =25%, etc...)

Exemple :

A level 19 player need 5000Xp for his next level and he's in a party with a player level 78. They fight level 78 monster  wich give 16000Xp.

In the actual  engine the level 19 player would gain 16000/2= 8000Xp from the monster, way more than a complete level.

With this solution As the 8000xp exceed the threshold of 5000*0.01 (1%), the level 19 player would get 50Xp (Still way better than a level 19 monster who give 25xp).

So what solutions do you use or plan to use to adress the power leveling ?  Are you interested in the solution i've explained ?

4 answers to this question

The best way to look at this is to check if the low level player is within the same proximity of the higher level player. We have a mapGrid object which contains the map the player is standing on and the 8surrounding maps (if there is any). Just do a simple check that party members are on either 1 of the up to 9 maps, if they are award the exp. If not don't. This will force players to actually be inside the level 70 dungeon whilst level 10. If they somehow survive without dieing at that point that's a game balance issue not a party exp one.

13 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

The best way to look at this is to check if the low level player is within the same proximity of the higher level player. We have a mapGrid object which contains the map the player is standing on and the 8surrounding maps (if there is any). Just do a simple check that party members are on either 1 of the up to 9 maps, if they are award the exp. If not don't. This will force players to actually be inside the level 70 dungeon whilst level 10. If they somehow survive without dieing at that point that's a game balance issue not a party exp one.

I see your point, in the engine it's similar to the sharedXpRange ? The number is range in terms of tiles yeah ?

But there's several way to bodyguard low level player, even in modern mmo.

So i'm not sure the game balance has to do with it ^^ I remember of ragnarok online having spots for power leveling and people stacking themself in safe spot. Also it's very hard to make a full non safe spot map, can be stressful for players too.

2 minutes ago, Beast Boyz said:

I see your point, in the engine it's similar to the sharedXpRange ? The number is range in terms of tiles yeah ?

But there's several way to bodyguard low level player, even in modern mmo.

So i'm not sure the game balance has to do with it ^^ I remember of ragnarok online having spots for power leveling and people stacking themself in safe spot. Also it's very hard to make a full non safe spot map, can be stressful for players too.

In the overworld this might apply with different zones etc but shouldn't in a dungeon. This is why I mainly randomly spawn my npcs as opposed to fixed positions so there is a high chance they will spawn near you and oneshot you if you are low level. If this is still a problem give atleast 1 npc type in each area a long range move.