Using Source to edit GUI?

Scaly

Question

Hello,

I have very little programming knowledge and was curious about the source so I loaded it up and built it.

Going through it seemed that it is mostly C# scripts. Are these C# scripts creating the jsons?

I would like to customize the GUI however using the jsons to do so is constraining.

I guess the question is how would I go about doing this for the client login/main and HUD/interfaces in game via Visual Studio and where would I look?

Very respectfully,

Scaly

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Scaly said:

Going through it seemed that it is mostly C# scripts. Are these C# scripts creating the jsons?

Yeah indeed

2 hours ago, Scaly said:

I guess the question is how would I go about doing this for the client login/main and HUD/interfaces in game via Visual Studio and where would I look?

All .json files are located in "Intersect/Client/Interface". Interfaces that appear when the player is in game, like the inventory, are located in the "Game" folder. Those when the player is in the menu are in the "Menu" folder. Shared one in the "Shared" folder.

So to edit the login window, you will have to go to "Intersect/Client/Interface/Menu/LoginWindow.cs". However I don't see what you mean by "HUD/interfaces".

If you want to edit the position, the margin, or things like that, better do it with the generated json. But if you want to add new labels or things like that, then Visual Studio is the best.

47 minutes ago, Shenmue said:

So to edit the login window, you will have to go to "Intersect/Client/Interface/Menu/LoginWindow.cs". However I don't see what you mean by "HUD/interfaces".

If you want to edit the position, the margin, or things like that, better do it with the generated json. But if you want to add new labels or things like that, then Visual Studio is the best.

Yes so I'm looking to combine some elements which wouldn't be supported by just using jsons. Having equipment, inventory, character stats in just one section would be nice but I'm not exactly sure which scripts I should be looking at combining without breaking everything. I was hoping I'd be able to rearange the interfaces in a point & click sort of way like Unity. I thought that you could do something similar with Visual Studio, I remember using Visual Studio a few years back doing something like that.

11 minutes ago, Scaly said:

Yes so I'm looking to combine some elements which wouldn't be supported by just using jsons. Having equipment, inventory, character stats in just one section would be nice but I'm not exactly sure which scripts I should be looking at combining without breaking everything. I was hoping I'd be able to rearange the interfaces in a point & click sort of way like Unity. I thought that you could do something similar with Visual Studio, I remember using Visual Studio a few years back doing something like that.

Oh you probably talking about Windows Form. Except those, there are no visual interface editing with Visual Studio.

If you want to merge json interfaces you will have to copy the code from each file and combine them in a way everything will work together. But it starts to be complicated without some programming knowledge. I may do a tutorial later in a far future.