TemTem

Aesthetic

I've played a fair bit of it, and the third island drains my will to live along with the constant random one shots and constant need to spam healing items even fighting wild tems. There's trainers every 5 seconds the first time through a zone and it's just a gauntlet of punishment where you constantly spam balms and your vial to then run back to town to refill the vial and keep going. 

They claim to want a game not reliant on the super effective and critical hits from pokemon, then make a game that's even more reliable on type matching along with some tems that just destroy you regardless. (the poison attack of that big squid is just bloody crazy) 

Barring endless breeding and catching / releasing tems for money there's currently also not much to do after the story ends.

Personally, I thought it was alright. 

Wouldn't say people need to play it right now? But definitely something to keep an eye on over time. 

There's a decent amount of stuff to do, the story can be a bit cringy in trying to be cool and some characters are just.. Why..? But overall I've had a decent time with it. Would I go back? Right now? Hell no. A safari zone and some breeding isn't going to keep me occupied. 

But if they add new actual content I'd like to go back and play that. 

23 minutes ago, Joyce said:

I've played a fair bit of it, and the third island drains my will to live along with the constant random one shots and constant need to spam healing items even fighting wild tems. There's trainers every 5 seconds the first time through a zone and it's just a gauntlet of punishment where you constantly spam balms and your vial to then run back to town to refill the vial and keep going. 

They claim to want a game not reliant on the super effective and critical hits from pokemon, then make a game that's even more reliable on type matching along with some tems that just destroy you regardless. (the poison attack of that big squid is just bloody crazy) 

Barring endless breeding and catching / releasing tems for money there's currently also not much to do after the story ends.

Personally, I thought it was alright. 

Wouldn't say people need to play it right now? But definitely something to keep an eye on over time. 

There's a decent amount of stuff to do, the story can be a bit cringy in trying to be cool and some characters are just.. Why..? But overall I've had a decent time with it. Would I go back? Right now? Hell no. A safari zone and some breeding isn't going to keep me occupied. 

But if they add new actual content I'd like to go back and play that. 

Really? Most people complain about the tems being too *bulky*. Much lower damage overall and higher health pools, if youre being one shot i cant help but feel maybe you have a level disadvantage? So far, as a long time competitive pokemon player, the game is extremely balanced, more so than I ever thought a game of the genre could be. (dont get me wrong here, im no fangirl there are definitely some really irritating aspects to the game, thats just one part i objectively can't deny)

That was 100% true and awful until this morning as they released the ranked matchmaking ladder with seasonal rewards and pansun rewards per win, so thats been occupying most of my time. The ranked ladder is also super accessible as it scales all of your Tems to perfect SV values so youre on an even playing field (to a certain extent) with players who have sunk a lot more time in than you in terms of stats. You'll still wanna set up movesets and think about type viability but for the most part any tem is relevant in its own niche.

I couldn't agree more, the story is a roller coaster that goes from "wow this is an extremely polished and amazing story mode" to "i actually want to kill myself what even is this story mode" extremely fast and kinda rapidly, I really hope they pick up the ball on Kisiwa and not make the same mistakes as the third zone.

Overall, it still has a long way to go before it's where it needs to be, but as of now I find it super fun and the ranked ladder is really engaging and allows for tons of skill expression thanks to the far superior battle system

I don't do ranked play and don't do competitive pokemon either. I just catch the ones I like and make a team from them. I've had a few tems I thought were super strong and then they'd just get destroyed by certain tems without even being at a type or level disadvantage. (barring the times the game decides to throw a tem 12 levels above yours at you from a trainer out of nowhere) 

So maybe mine just have really bad stats? But I don't think a game should overly rely on getting decent stat rolls to get through the game the first time around. If there's dedicated harder areas for people that like that then sure. But I'm not here for the endless grinding till I get a tem with decent stats. Lol I just want the cute ones in a reasonably type balanced team and the rest go into the stash. 

I mostly played this with someone else, maybe the co-op is the limiting factor here? Like it feels making a balanced party between two people that each want to level their tems is pretty hard. 

But yeah the overall feel of the game to me was just that it was an unbalanced mess start to finish if you just casually play it. Some tems (like electric and digital) have insanely good type advantages and some others are just really.. Well they have an advantage. Then the dual type thing adds more oddities as I don't get how the second affects the first but it does seem to. 

So yeah, maybe it's just my lack of playing pokemon games or this the "right" way. But I'm not much into the stat grind thing. Haha

that could be an issue, its not expressly stated but the direct intended audience of the game are long, long, time competitive pokemon players and the difficulty spike is to counter pokemons history of pressing 1 button and winning every cake-walk fight. They dont outright say it but it's very clear their end goal is esports and competitive sustaining them, so yeah i agree their job with making it accessible is pretty awful.

To add to your co-op comment, yes, in temtem team comp and switching and playing the long game is a majority of it. Sustaining stamina, switching instead of waiting, knowing type matchups, basically competitive knowledge. If you go in blind its brutal as hell, I have a few friends who have tried it and 3 of them needed my help to beat the first dojo, despite having a near 8 level advantage at the time. 

tl;dr good for sweaty comp players, bad for normal people (for now)

(to add add, just so you know, the second type is literally all it sounds like, a second type. If something is rock and fire, which are both weak to water, is hit by a water move it will be 4x instead of 2x, where as if there is something like a Earth and Wind type getting hit by electric wont be super effective even though it beats wind, because Earth resists it. Sorry if i explained that horribly.)

Ironically I've had less issues with the dojos than the regular overworld drag of fighting an endless gauntlet of trainers and tems before the next stop. Haha 

Yeah, we generally did it with like one tem left. But we got them first try. 

Honestly when we found out chain lightning nessla spam the entire first island became a joke. Although they fixed the issue where that particular trait would stop chain lightning from spreading further. Lol

I did certainly enjoy it though. At least until Tucma. The middle island was pretty repetitive but still alright. The first area is pretty good and offers a lot of freedom and stuff to explore. 

Some of the tem designs are pretty good. Bit annoying you tend to get type counters well after you fought an army of tems that wreck your party though, but you get used to that quick. Wish the game wouldn't tease me with the digital one shot tem though. I want to do that to other trainers. 😂

3 minutes ago, Joyce said:

Some of the tem designs are pretty good. Bit annoying you tend to get type counters well after you fought an army of tems that wreck your party though, but you get used to that quick. Wish the game wouldn't tease me with the digital one shot tem though. I want to do that to other trainers. 😂

Haha, the devs have stated that the cyber tem you encounter aren't a good example of actual cyber type tem and that they aren't op. It's just that the one you against your rival has above maximum stats to be purposefully roflstomp op. Like the boss fights in some games where you're meant to lose.

1 minute ago, Aesthetic said:

Haha, the devs have stated that the cyber tem you encounter aren't a good example of actual cyber type tem and that they aren't op. It's just that the one you against your rival has above maximum stats to be purposefully roflstomp op. Like the boss fights in some games where you're meant to lose.

Oh, that's really lame. At least let me do the same thing to trainers in the overworld. Sjeez.

If it were banned from competitive, sure. But let me do that to the other hapless fools that dare get in my way!

3 minutes ago, Joyce said:

Oh, that's really lame. At least let me do the same thing to trainers in the overworld. Sjeez.

If it were banned from competitive, sure. But let me do that to the other hapless fools that dare get in my way!

fb42c22174fcdb728ca096f343dc9261.jpg

Tateru approves

• 10 months later...