Is it possible to limit the amount of characters of a given class?

SarcasticSloth24

Question

Hello! I'm new to Intersect but have a lot of experience in rpg maker and some programming and networking experience. I'm wondering two things: First, is there a way to limit the number of players who can join a server, and second: Is it possible to limit the number of players who have a certain class?

I ask because I am toying around with a game where some players are the heroes and some are villains, and the villains are much stronger so they should be outnumbered by the heroes. 

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. Thanks for any and all help or advice you can provide.

4 answers to this question

You could do this by creating a sort of hub world to join up into first, a sort of buffer after creating your character. Use the same idea as starting off classles then graduating to a villian or hero later, or like a secondary job. Then control and track the players using variables when they enter or leave the official map. You could also determine their classes when they join and have lobbies leading into rooms and so on. This may not be the style youre going for, but without source thats the only wat I can imagine it being done.

16 hours ago, WereAlpaca said:

You could do this by creating a sort of hub world to join up into first, a sort of buffer after creating your character. Use the same idea as starting off classles then graduating to a villian or hero later, or like a secondary job. Then control and track the players using variables when they enter or leave the official map. You could also determine their classes when they join and have lobbies leading into rooms and so on. This may not be the style youre going for, but without source thats the only wat I can imagine it being done.

True. And I think this will be an interesting project, giving that it has enough continuous players!

12 hours ago, SarcasticSloth24 said:

Thank you for the swift replies. It is really meant to be a small-scale game, for 5 to 10 players at a time, but the idea of a mmorpg based around the concept is intriguing. 

I'll give the limits a shot using events as you suggested. Thank you.

No problem! With a hub you never know, you could have 3 games going on at once with 5 players each, even different maps! :) Best of luck.