Brown sprite backgrounds

AccurateNoodle

Question

6 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, Giligis said:

You have to make them transparent, and remove the background. Its easy to do so, use Paint.NET or Gimp. I personally prefer Gimp. Use the "Magic Wand" tool, and hit Delete on your keyboard, easy way to remove that background and make it transparent. :)

Hey man, how do you do it? When I use the magic wand, select and then press delete, it works, but parts of the character is deleted making it look really bad and after saving the background is white and not transparent.

Edit: I think i need to enable feather edges? For the background tho idk

So if you have Gimp downloaded, what you need to do in order to make it so you can make the background transparent, is add an Alpha Channel. To do this, at the top go to Layer, then under Transparency hit "Add Alpha Channel". 

4caf6c2fa5d2fcdaf5306d8d2652e1a2.png

Now when you delete the backgrounds, it should have checkered grey boxes, instead of white. Thats how you know you did it right.

From there, if your having issues where its taking out part of the character, turn down the threshold. If you don't have the "tool options" up, go to Windows, Dockable Dialogs, and click on "Tool Options" there you can turn up or down the threshold. In this case, I think you'd want to turn it down. What the magic wand basically does is the pixel that you select it selects similar colors around that pixel so sometimes it grabs stuff you need, make sure the threshold is low and that you are clicking the background you want to remove. Play with the threshold a bit. 

d25a2a78ad44d6f3e4a5aa0d5d4c9a7f.png

77f11922a76b4a520ccb818318eaa4f5.png

7 minutes ago, Giligis said:

So if you have Gimp downloaded, what you need to do in order to make it so you can make the background transparent, is add an Alpha Channel. To do this, at the top go to Layer, then under Transparency hit "Add Alpha Channel". 

4caf6c2fa5d2fcdaf5306d8d2652e1a2.png

Now when you delete the backgrounds, it should have checkered grey boxes, instead of white. Thats how you know you did it right.

From there, if your having issues where its taking out part of the character, turn down the threshold. If you don't have the "tool options" up, go to Windows, Dockable Dialogs, and click on "Tool Options" there you can turn up or down the threshold. In this case, I think you'd want to turn it down. What the magic wand basically does is the pixel that you select it selects similar colors around that pixel so sometimes it grabs stuff you need, make sure the threshold is low and that you are clicking the background you want to remove. Play with the threshold a bit. 

d25a2a78ad44d6f3e4a5aa0d5d4c9a7f.png

77f11922a76b4a520ccb818318eaa4f5.png

Very detailed, thank you very much for your time!