Is there a decently simple way to spawn events?

IVeve

Question

Hi, I'm researching and fiddling with the Intersect Engine and I'm pretty impressed by its functionality, but I've found that it lacks a few basic things in regards to it. I've been trying to scour through the forum, but maybe I missed something - is there a way to spawn an event without editing the source code? As in call some common event and have it create an event from a template onto a specified map and tile - kind of like how you instantiate objects in Godot or Unity. Obviously, because I'm asking for the instantiation of events, I'd also like to know if there exists an option to remove them.

By the way, I'm asking about exactly what's on the tin - I know you can make an event and enable it on a condition through other events, but I need specifically the functionality I mentioned for my project.

4 answers to this question

Aside from copy/pasting the event around and setting a spawn trigger variable no.

You'd likely need to make your own mechanic for instancing events like this. Would highly doubt you'll find an engine that has everything you'd ever need to make a project work without touching the code at all anywhere. Might be worth trying a few and seeing what works best and then invest in making your game work with the engine and vice versa.

34 minutes ago, Cheshire said:

Aside from copy/pasting the event around and setting a spawn trigger variable no.

You'd likely need to make your own mechanic for instancing events like this. Would highly doubt you'll find an engine that has everything you'd ever need to make a project work without touching the code at all anywhere. Might be worth trying a few and seeing what works best and then invest in making your game work with the engine and vice versa.

Well, so unfortunately what I expected - thanks for the answer! I'm quite happy to touch the code, my only problem is that maintaining a fork with updates + having to recompile every time I change one small thing is hella annoying, which is why I want to make sure I know the limitations of the engine before I start development. If there was an addon system where I could just pop on additional functionality onto the engine, touching the code would be much easier. Personally though, I think the spawning event thing should come with the project as it enables you to do a lot more things out of the box - it allows the dev to give the player the tools to change and affect the world, though I understand there are probably more pressing concerns for the maintainers. When I fork and finish the changes I might contribute them.

7 minutes ago, Cheshire said:

I'm not sure it's a simple solution or idea. 

Granted it's one I have had before but not found a simple way to implement it yet.

Well, I've got a pretty hacky idea of how to implement it. Create an unlinked map with events you want to use as templates and create a global and player variable for event creation, that'll dictate the spawned ID (although a global variable might be enough, would need to play around). When the world's trying to spawn something in, set the variable, specify map and position X and Y and if the spot's unblocked duplicate the event from the unlinked map (also will probably have to activate it with some local switch, as the template events will have to be inactive). If the player's querying to spawn something, do the same but use the player spawn variable. There's a way cleaner way to implement this, but this implementation seems functional and requires very little tweaking, other than creating the duplication script.

By the way, is there a way to call a script in the editor or something like that, or do I need to make a proper implementation of this behavior there?