Infinite inventory slots

Question

Hi, is there a way to make the amount of slots in your inventory INFINITE? In a lot of instances, an item must be added to the player's inventory and if it is full so cannot hold anymore items then it will break the whole thing. I know I could make the amount ridiculously high (like 500 trillion) but that seems quite messy especially since the scroll bar will be tiny, and it still isn't infinite.

Is there a way to do this, maybe a source modification?

3 answers to this question

In theory you could, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. For every player you have online a massive inventory will take up unnecessary memory. For every player you have in your database it'll take up unnecessary storage space.

There's an overflow to bank feature in the engine, that might serve you better. Along with a reasonably sized inventory your players really shouldn't run out of space unless they deliberately do so themselves.

Or alternatively, just write your systems to check for inventory space. You really shouldn't have to give people unlimited space.

3 hours ago, Joyce said:

In theory you could, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. For every player you have online a massive inventory will take up unnecessary memory. For every player you have in your database it'll take up unnecessary storage space.

There's an overflow to bank feature in the engine, that might serve you better. Along with a reasonably sized inventory your players really shouldn't run out of space unless they deliberately do so themselves.

Or alternatively, just write your systems to check for inventory space. You really shouldn't have to give people unlimited space.

And if they don't have enough inventory space, and I need to give them an item, how would that help?

The idea is to show like 10 free inventory slots and then create more when they get filled up.